Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score?

tariqueabrar14tariqueabrar14 Core Member

Hi everybody. I just got back my results for the 2021 Feb flex. I am not happy with my score, and I have the option to cancel it as I am a first time test taker. My question is should i cancel my score?, and if I do, will it impact me negatively in any way?

thank you

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

What was the score and what is your target score?

• tariqueabrar14tariqueabrar14 Core Member
    26 karma

I got a 151, my target is 170 +. I am retaking it in June.

• dbtornell4dbtornell4 Core Member
    67 karma

@canihazJD Related to the OP - what deviation from your target score would warrant a cancellation? Are you talking 5+ or more like 10+ deviation?

• tariqueabrar14tariqueabrar14 Core Member
    26 karma

Honestly if had gotten anything more than a 155 I would've kept it. But since I plan on taking it again, and my score is almost 20 points lower than my target score, I am not sure what to do.

I just dont know if law schools will look at a cancellation and see it negatively.

edited March 2021 8313 karma

@tariqueabrar14 said:
    I got a 151, my target is 170 +. I am retaking it in June.

I suppose if I paid for the cancellation, I'd use it here.

I don't think there's much (if any) benefit though. We know schools use the highest score, and while you can't completely exclude the potential subjective appeal of a single high score, you'll still have a cancel on record anyway. Will your app reader see that and assume a low score anyway? Possibly. You could also say an app reader might see a low score followed by a high score, and appreciate the determination and work you put in to achieve the increase. The question is how will a cancel + 170 score be seen vs a 151 + 170. No way to really tell how it will be viewed, but if you know you won't apply with that score, I'd just go ahead and use the feature you paid for.

edited March 2021 8313 karma

@dbtornell4 said:
    @canihazJD Related to the OP - what deviation from your target score would warrant a cancellation? Are you talking 5+ or more like 10+ deviation?

Just my opinion, but I'd say its more like "is there any chance I will use this score to apply?" If the answer is "maybe," I'd keep it.

Obviously, this just applies to the score preview cancellations. It's never a good idea to cancel a pending score save for some catastrophe on test day.