Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any LSAT prep companies that offer JUST proctored exams?

catDemedicicatDemedici Alum Member
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of NYC-based LSAT prep services (i.e., Blueprint, Powerscore, etc) offering to let you pay to participate in just the proctored LSAT exams? I think my biggest problem is test anxiety and I would love to sit for a few proctored exams before my retake in October. But I don't want to pay $1,300 for the privilege...

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Just have a friend be the proctor in return for a meal. And you can get a 5-section PT (the experimental pulled from an earlier PT) from Cambridge for $9-10ish.
  • moocow314moocow314 Alum Member
    140 karma
    Manhattan LSAT offers free, in-person proctored exams in NYC, even if you're not enrolled in any of their courses. I know they're offering sittings every weekend leading up to June, but I'm not sure what the schedule will be like leading up to October. They usually have two exams you can choose from, or you can bring your own (they also provide an experimental section if you forget it).
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited May 2015 1654 karma
    @ddakjiking Do you suggest taking 5-section PTs, or does it not really matter? If so, can't I just take a section from a previous test and use it as an experimental?
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 2116 karma
    It's more of a convenient factor. I like how it's seamlessly added into the 4 sections and I wouldn't know when it would come up until I actually see it (say it comes up the 3rd section).

I would def encourage practicing 5 section PT's before the real deal. For a lot of people, fatigue along with test day nerves can def get to someone if they haven't done too many full 5-section PT's. Myself included.

@alexandergreene93
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @catDemedici said:
    I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of NYC-based LSAT prep services (i.e., Blueprint, Powerscore, etc) offering to let you pay to participate in just the proctored LSAT exams?
    A lot of companies will offer these—and pre-law societies at universities do too, sometimes. I'd do some aggressive Googling to uncover opportunities.

I've heard the suggestion that you take your own test in to one of the free proctored exams Princeton Review/Kaplan offers, instead of taking their non-LSAC test. Just take your own and let the proctor know you've brought your own materials.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    @catDemedici said:
    I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of NYC-based LSAT prep services (i.e., Blueprint, Powerscore, etc) offering to let you pay to participate in just the proctored LSAT exams?
    A lot of companies will offer these—and pre-law societies at universities do too, sometimes. I'd do some aggressive Googling to uncover opportunities.

I've heard the suggestion that you take your own test in to one of the free proctored exams Princeton Review/Kaplan offers, instead of taking their non-LSAC test. Just take your own and let the proctor know you've brought your own materials.

I actually did this and it worked out well. I'd say it's definitely a viable option.
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    I actually did this and it worked out well. I'd say it's definitely a viable option.
    Really?! Fabulous—you're the first person I've heard who's actually done this (taken your own PT in a Kaplan/PR environment) with success. Huzzah! Now to do some Googling of my own ...
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    That's fantastic! A bit awkward... but fantastic. I need to try this BYOPT.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @VegMeg55 Yeah, I got a few weird looks from other test takers but... I ain't about to sit there and take a [insert inferior prep company name here] created test! :)
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @brna0714 LOL, I'd risk getting jumped in the parking lot to only take LSAC-created questions...
  • nibs2016nibs2016 Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    @moocow314 said:
    Manhattan LSAT offers free, in-person proctored exams in NYC, even if you're not enrolled in any of their courses. I know they're offering sittings every weekend leading up to June, but I'm not sure what the schedule will be like leading up to October. They usually have two exams you can choose from, or you can bring your own (they also provide an experimental section if you forget it).
    @moocow314 Do you know where I can find more info on this? I'd like to take one this weekend in NYC, but I can't find anything about this on their website? Thanks!
    7965 karma
    @moocow314 check their free events. They offer them sporadically.
  • moocow314moocow314 Alum Member
    edited May 2015 140 karma
    @nathanberlashulock I actually signed up a few months ago through their website (on the free events page), but I just checked and saw that the proctored exams aren't listed there anymore. My guess is that they remove the listings as soon as a lot of people sign up and the event becomes full.

I know they're offering one this Saturday in NYC, W. 25th St., at 1:30pm, and I *think* they're also offering one on Sunday at the same time. You might try emailing them to see if they still have room.

That said, I've never seen anyone check in, so I think you'd be ok if you show up without signing up online. I've always just walked in the times I've gone. There are always empty seats too (not everyone who signs up always shows up), though it might be a bit more crowded this weekend since it's a week before the actual exam.
    7965 karma
    I believe Manhattan uses *real tests* but it might be June '07. Still, could be worth it for the experience!
  • JayLau18JayLau18 Free Trial Member
    29 karma
    CatD,
    Check out Princeton Review.
    Go to their website select Lsat course then scroll down to "Take a free practice test...."