Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UVA versus WashU

Hello all! I’m struggling with choosing between two amazing law schools (that I’ve somehow been admitted into for this Fall) and would really appreciate any perspectives/advice you have on the situation.

I’ve been accepted into UVA Law at sticker price (I tried to ask for more scholarship money once already without success), and WashULaw with a substantial scholarship. I’d be paying for my whole education through loans so the scholarship at WashU is very attractive and overall it would be about $100,000 less to go to WashU than UVA. However, I’m interested in criminal law and national security law and UVA has the programs, faculty and courses that I’m interested in the most.

I’ve thought about ways to mitigate the huge debt I would have at UVA such as getting into BigLaw for a while after graduating or the fact that UVA has the Virginia Loan Forgiveness Program which would help with my loan repayments if I’m in public service. But I’m not sure about staking my $250,000 worth of debt repayment on getting into BigLaw (even though UVA is really good in the BigLaw job market). I’m also worried about the ability to stay in the top percentile of the class at a T14 law school which would affect my ability to get a BigLaw position.

I’m just wondering what others think of the choice and if it is reasonable to choose UVA Law over WashU despite the difference in debt. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2021 8460 karma

For those goals I'd go WUSTL unless you're ok being tied to public service for 10 years. That's a lot of debt for marginal if any benefit. If you were shooting for FC, more selective BL firms, unicorn PI, or academia, then UVA would be more compelling. Actually maybe not even FC... I think WUSTL places like 14%.

Edit: https://www.lstreports.com/compare/washu/uva