Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June '21 LSAT

vspicy23vspicy23 Member
in General 190 karma

Hey all,

Do you think between now and the June LSAT it is realistic to improve my score by at least 20 points? My issue is mostly with timing...When I take the test untimed I get roughly -3 on LG but my LR and RC fluctuates. When I take it timed, however, I basically bomb everything bc I run out of time.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

I guess it partially depends on what you're currently scoring on timed tests and what your goal score is, but 20 points in one month is a tough ask.

I've recently come to the conclusion that if I want a shot at scoring anywhere near what I want on the June LSAT, I may need to sacrifice some questions all together. Like on RC, only doing 3 passages thoroughly as opposed to doing all 4. And on LR, skipping 5 questions entirely and being as accurate as possible on the questions I do attempt.

So maybe a good strategy to try is decide how many points you're willing to miss all together, then structure your time runs based on how you think you can do in each section.

• vspicy23vspicy23 Member
    190 karma

@tahurrrrr Thank you!! This is a good point/strategy

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

@marcellali said:
    Hey all,

Do you think between now and the June LSAT it is realistic to improve my score by at least 20 points? My issue is mostly with timing...When I take the test untimed I get roughly -3 on LG but my LR and RC fluctuates. When I take it timed, however, I basically bomb everything bc I run out of time.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

You could try to only do 3 of the 4 LG games perfectly, that would give you a 17/18 for sure, then guess same answer on the last one you don’t do. I would also keep fool proofing games between now and then. For LR you could drill questions that you’re mostly confident on now so they’re easy peasy points to pick up on the real thing, then flag and skip questions that are tougher to save for last so you can spend more time on them maybe. For RC, I agree with previous poster who suggested doing just 3 of 4 passages too. Over time you’ll get faster with practice. Sometimes I have 1-2 mins left on a LR section and 6months ago I struggled to get it done in 40 mins lol

• ZingZingZipZipZingZingZipZip Core Member
    25 karma

Is there a reason you feel you must take the June LSAT, if you think you need to improve your score by 20+ points? If you just took a diagnostic and it was in the 130s, and you have all the time in the world to study for the next month, you might be able to make some pretty big gains. But if you're talking about improving from a 150 to a 170, for example, that's a whole different ballgame. You might want to consider seeing how much you can improve by June, but also planning to take the August test.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@tahurrrrr

Hey, You mentioned that you skip 1 one of the RC passages so that you can be more thorough on 3 of the passages. RC is also what's holding me back from my goal score. I'm usually getting -8 to -10. I'm guessing you skip the passage with the least amount of questions? Do you feel that doing this allows you to get more questions correct than trying to do all of the passages? Do you then in the last 1-2 minutes go back and try to fill in answers for those that you skipped?

The alternative is skipping in RC how you would in in LR, noticing if your spending more than 45 seconds on a question, just moving on. Definitely easier said than done lol.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks!

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    @tahurrrrr

Hey, You mentioned that you skip 1 one of the RC passages so that you can be more thorough on 3 of the passages. RC is also what's holding me back from my goal score. I'm usually getting -8 to -10. I'm guessing you skip the passage with the least amount of questions? Do you feel that doing this allows you to get more questions correct than trying to do all of the passages? Do you then in the last 1-2 minutes go back and try to fill in answers for those that you skipped?

The alternative is skipping in RC how you would in in LR, noticing if your spending more than 45 seconds on a question, just moving on. Definitely easier said than done lol.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks!

I haven't tried it on a full timed section yet. But here's my idea. Like you said, sacrifice the passage with the fewest questions. I'm thinking I'd split my time up 10-10-10-5. Hopefully, resulting in -5 or less. I'm thinking if I can do the first 3 passages 100% and read the "sacrifice" passage enough to at least get the structure, I may be able to get 2 or 3 right on that passage still.

I'm in the same situation as you in that with the exception of a rogue -3, all my PT scores for RC have been -8 to -10. But when I stopped doing the core curriculum problem sets timed (still not allowing myself to linger on questions and referencing the passage only if absolutely necessary), I've been consistently finishing two passages with -0 in 20-25 minutes regardless of difficulty.

My problem stemmed from retaining the information in timed conditions I think. I'm a bit of a slower reader but I'm a fast test taker. Not a good combination because it puts me in a position of being either fast or accurate, but both unlikely. I've been trying to read all 4 passages and skip/flag like in LR, but that clearly hasn't been working for me. So I think I may be better off with a guaranteed -5 vs. maybe -3 maybe -10.

Hope that answers your questions!

• valeriehevaleriehe Member
    148 karma

Many other student have asked similar questions about whether something is possible with limited time. Honestly, nothing is impossible and a good attitude can always make condition better. If you are not thinking about postponent, just tell yourself you can do it without worrying and anxiety.