PT72.S3.Q16 - Currently, many countries rely primarily on...

jmarin5jmarin5 Member
edited May 2021 in Logical Reasoning 162 karma

One of the "rules" that I have learned from Ellen Cassidy's loophole and just general LR practice is that we should be extremely weary of answer choices that say we "should" do something. For this specific question, I immediately picked D because it was very intuitive, but then I changed it and picked B which seems more positive than normative. My concern here is that no one said anything about what we "should" do, but rather what simply is. If the stimulus said something along the lines of "As it is our goal to improve the economy then........" I would have definitely not changed my answer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Hope this make sense.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-3-question-16/

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

You should be wary of prescriptive/descriptive language mismatches, but that doesn't mean they are AC killers. Same with "assumption" in an AP answer, or latent conditional statements in ACs. You should sense a disturbance in the force, but that doesn't mean you fire off your lightsaber. Remember these are constructs that we are applying to the test... the test writers are under no such constraints. This is a MSS type question but you are essentially picking the best MC. Note: the BEST one... relative to the other answer choices.