Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Writing Sample

vspicy23vspicy23 Member
in June 2021 LSAT 190 karma

Hi everyone,

This weekend will be my first time taking the LSAT and I am unfamiliar with the logistics of the writing sample. Do we have to take it the same day? Do we have to take it in one sitting? When is the earliest/latest we are allowed to take it? Do law schools factor the writing sample into their decision making process?!

Please advise!!! TYIA

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

The Writing portion is available for the June test, as of June 4th, (last friday). You can take the writing portion at any time, but know that they won't release your LSAT score until they have a writing portion processed and on file, which I've heard takes about 3 weeks. It's recommended that you do the writing portion before you take the test, that way you get it over with, and don't risk having your score delayed.

The LSAT writing is just like an additional section of the test, so you have 35 minutes and it's done through the Proctor U.

I've also heard that now that the writing portion is typed, in general more schools are reading them. I'm not sure how big of a factor it is, but they want to see how well you can write without any editing or help.

You should be able to find instructions on how to access it on the LSAC website.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your test!

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Hi! I actually took the writing sample yesterday and it is my first time testing as well. It was really easy and simple so don't worry!! LSAC runs you through the necessary steps and you have 35 minutes to complete it. There is a trial available to get you comfortable with the software and stuff too. Thus, it does need to be done in one sitting. From what I've heard, the writing sample is basically to prove you are proficient in English and are capable of writing your own personal statement. There's no wrong answer so just answer the question and you'll be more than fine! Seriously don't stress about it at all.

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Also, I took mine last night at 6 pm EST and it was already processed by this morning! I still recommend getting it done as soon as possible :)

• aly______aly______ Member
    78 karma

You have one year to complete it from the date of your LSAT, but you'll need a writing sample on file to see your score, so it's recommended that you complete it as soon as possible. Yay to not having to complete it on the same day :)