Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips on studying when...

profile427profile427 Alum Member
in General 213 karma
Hi All,

I'm reaching out to see if you all have any tips on how to manage your study time when you're working full-time and in a committed relationship. I'm shacked up with my partner, who also works full-time, and even though he's quite supportive of me taking the LSAT [again], it sure seems hard to just come home every day after my 9-to-5 (often 8-to-7) and completely ignore that I'm in a long-term relationship. Then there are the weekends...

Considering that the LSAT is not a cakewalk, I've realized lately that I'm letting my studying fall by the wayside due to the guilt of ignoring my beau. My situation was very different when I studied for the GRE & applied to grad school, so this is new territory for me.

Thoughts? Am I just making major excuses to avoid studying (due to the fear of sucking on LSAT #2) or are there others out there who have grappled with a similar situation?

(No, I'm not ditching my guy for the LSAT, thank you!)

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    haha, I was in a similar situation.
    I finally (after stressing for a really long time trying to balance everything) sat them down and let them know that I would make time for them when I could. I studied in the AM, on my lunch break, and between 5-8 PM and dedicated 8-10 PM to my loved one <3. It ended up working out in the end because that two hours was purely dedicated to spending time with them AND I was able to get my study time in. My situation has changed since then, but it worked good!
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I find that a schedule works best. Even though life is a bit crazy trying to balance 100 different things, the relationship light at the end of the tunnel is a weekly date night or perhaps a couple of hours per day. This way, you can incorporate LSAT studies in a predictable manner but not neglect your partner.
  • Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus! Alum Member
    38 karma
    I'm in a similar situation. I try to dedicate one full day a week to only him (usually Sundays). On the weekdays, he understands that I have a schedule to keep up with and he knows not to expect too much attention. It helps if your partner is also studying for grad school/ entrance exam, or just has a significant goal that he/she is preparing for. That way they can focus the extra free time they now have (as a result of your intense study habits) on accomplishing their goal. Also, it feels great to know you're both working towards achievement. Don't allow your partner to be an excuse to not study for the exam, he/she should be the #1 motivating factor in your study routine. It's hard not to feel like this is a selfish endeavor but at the end of the day, Law School is an investment in yourself, which is an investment in your relationship! I hope this helps.
  • hrjones44hrjones44 Alum Member
    323 karma
    I am too, i have a 10 month old i work and my partner lives with me luckily ive been getting part time but i still devote almost all of my free time to this and it's hard not to do stuff when u need to study, but after a while it'll be over and hopefully u can have a break before law school, bc that will be a ton of studying too!
  • profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Thanks, all! I mentioned at dinner last night that I need a study schedule, and he agreed. I think that finding balance is especially challenging, especially since the warmer months are here, which means that the days are longer and all of the "normal" people are doing much more exciting things after work! :)