Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient Assumption Q's

vspicy23vspicy23 Member

Hi Guys,

I really struggle with sufficient assumption questions. Can someone please offer some guidance/tips/tricks on how to start understanding them and getting them correct?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Sufficient assumption questions are a great place to practice predicting answer choices and, I would argue, it is a necessary skill for getting these questions consistently right. Since the missing premise provides the link between the other premises and the conclusion, you will need to be proficient in diagramming stimuli (even if just in your head) such that you know what conclusion you are trying to prove and be able to identify the missing piece (which will be your correct AC).
    I would practice SA questions untimed and really try to break down each stimulus, translate into your own words, understand what you're looking for in your AC, and don't go into those ACs blind, try to have a loose idea in your head of what you're looking for before reading ACs.
    Once you can do all that untimed, then challenge your confidence by asserting a time limit. These will get easier with time and practice!

• DarinnnnnDarinnnnn Member
    244 karma

the right answer will usually have the "new element" that's stated in the conclusion. The whole idea of SA is that there is a new element that's stated in the conclusion that wasn't mentioned in the premises hence you would need to link one of the premises to the conclusion. Remember that premises always be in the sufficient and conclusion in the necessary or consider the contrapositive of the correct answer choice.