Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harder Logical Reasoning Questions

AugustLSATAugustLSAT Alum Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had advice as to how to improve on the harder LR questions. Currently, for every questions I get wrong I write it in a notebook and analyze each answer choice. I continue to think it through and even play around a little and try to figure out what would have to change in order for the answer to be right. I have seen SIGNIFICANT improvements doing this and have noticed I have began to mimic this exact thinking process while i am taking times sections. However, I find it quite difficult to understand some of the harder LR questions. Does anyone have any advice on how to reason through them. Do you believe as I go through more questions I will begin to see general trends?

Comments

• iamgratefuliamgrateful Core Member
    36 karma

I'm in the same boat as you! Would love to get someone's input on this :)

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

Yes, as you go through more questions, you will definitely see general trends even in harder LR questions.

The difficulties in harder LR questions often come down to the fact that the flaws are a lot more subtle and not as obvious as easier questions. They also tend to be pretty wordy so breaking down the language in both the answers and stimulus can be difficult.

Conquering these questions often come down to proper fundamentals. On easy questions, even if you don't catch the flaw, sometimes just glancing at the answers is enough because the correct one just stands out. For harder ones, you will really be tested on fundamentals. Do I know what the conclusion is for sure? Can I see the gap between premises and conclusion? Do I notice the conditional language in the stimulus? And so forth. So make sure your fundamentals are sound.

Another thing is that for these questions, you may need to get to the correct answer by process of elimination. Remember - there are 2 ways to get a correct answer. (1) What is the correct answer? And (2) what is the least wrong answer? The latter is about eliminating bad answers one by one and arriving to the correct answer in that form even if you don't quite know why it is correct. But you know why the other 4 are wrong so you can confidently choose and move on.