Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

August or October LSAT?

So I'm sure there are tons of previous discussion forum posts about this exact question, but I wanted to make my own so I could insert where I am personally.

I have a 160 score on file from February... I took the LSAT basically on a whim and studied for about a week or two (and that study was largely unproductive since I was taking non-timed individual sections without blind review, etc.).

I've now been using 7Sage for about a month and am progressing very well. It seems like I can make a significant improvement on my February score and open up more opportunities for myself. I think I'm trending towards the 165-170 mark and that feels like a completely different score than the 160 I have currently. However, I've always heard that applying as early as possible is a good thing for law school.

Could someone give me advice on whether or not waiting until early November is "too late" for the next cycle as far as scholarships, etc. are concerned? I understand that every cycle is different, but what's the norm?

I could probably stretch and make it through the Core Curriculum in time for the August LSAT date - but I'd definitely be rushing and wouldn't have the opportunity to really reflect on what I've learned, or to solidify those skills with multiple practice tests.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

I would take the October LSAT and still apply in November which is early and you'll have a chance at scholarships.

• jrapa1920jrapa1920 Member
    21 karma

Hi! I was also trying to figure out if I should retake in August or October. I talked with someone and they recommended that I should take it in August if I wasn't currently working and had enough time to study - it would also allow me to get the test out of the way and I would be able to focus more on applications. If I was working full time and didn't have as much time to study then she recommended to take it in October. She also said that schools usually do not review your application until your score becomes available if you decide to use your October test score. Submitting applications earlier will probably help you secure a spot in more competitive schools and be eligible for certain scholarships but I still think you will be able to get scholarships if you wait to take the test in October and submit your applications later. I hope this helps!

• JmockabeeJmockabee Core Member
    16 karma

Similar question, I am about 20 percent through the core curriculum and am scheduled for the august lsat. I am not working at the moment to try and get through the curriculum. I was thinking about switching to October however that will be right in the middle of my fall semester at college. Im thinking I will be more focussed in august but am open. to any advice.

• edited July 2021 52 karma

A good rule of thumb is to try and apply before Thanksgiving break if possible.