Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost and looking for advice: to delay or not to delay

logan1313logan1313 Alum Member

Hi there: I feel like I have been playing scenarios back and forth in my head too much, so I figured I would pose this question to the 7sage community: should I delay my application for a year?

I just took the LSAT for the first time in June and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a 169. While I had scored 168 several times leading up to the test, this score was above my PT average (between 165-166). It also represents a 22 point increase from my diagnostic of 147. A large part of my progress came from taking working on 7sage, so a huge shout out for that!

With a score that is teetering right on the edge of elite, I am now wondering whether it’s worth it to just go ahead and apply now, or put off applying for a year, spend a lot of time digging in, and try to get a score in the mid 170s. Here’s my context:

Because of my personal situation, I am really only able to choose between schools in Boston. This puts me in a tight spot of having to either chase down Harvard or settle with BU or BC. Don’t get me wrong, both BU and BC are excellent options and certainly have some notable benefits for me. But Harvard is, and has been, the dream.

Unfortunately, I have a fairly low GPA for Harvard (3.77) but the degree was in Chemistry. I also have a Masters’s from the University of Cambridge (with high marks) and two years of work experience in leadership positions in my field of interest.

I currently work full time and don’t think I could effectively balance studying really hard for the LSAT while also putting together a top-notch application that could go in early. This kind of leaves me with two options: 1) Take a chance and see whether I am one of the outliers and get into Harvard with a 169 or 2) Delay for a year, continue to bust my ass on the LSAT, and apply next year with (hopefully) a score that is closer to their median.

One BIG question for me in this is: Is Harvard a realistic option? If I end up delaying and get, say, a 173, will Harvard be viable, particularly given my lower GPA? Or will I sort of end up in the same spot that I was before, which is pretty great, but not quite enough?

I would love any thoughts, comments and advice!

Comments

  • Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Alum Member
    498 karma

    Why not just take the October LSAT ?

  • logan1313logan1313 Alum Member
    69 karma

    Hi Cynthia, thanks for the question. I suppose that is an option as well. I think my only concern is that the October date would not give me enough time to make the improvements that I need to make. Given that my PT average was around 165-166, I think I will need quite a few months of intensive studying before feeling confident that I could hit the 173 range.

  • Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Alum Member
    498 karma

    @loganmalik13 said:
    Hi Cynthia, thanks for the question. I suppose that is an option as well. I think my only concern is that the October date would not give me enough time to make the improvements that I need to make. Given that my PT average was around 165-166, I think I will need quite a few months of intensive studying before feeling confident that I could hit the 173 range.

    Hi,
    Frankly, since you scored a 169, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to make 173 in three months. Whats there to lose? Worst case scenario you retake next year if you're willing to wait anyway and you won't have to waste a year. But honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't meet your target. You're almost there.

  • LuxxTabooLuxxTaboo Monthly Member
    212 karma

    Do whatever you feel you are most comfortable and confident with. Time is never truly wasted especially if it's for something you really want. If you know you can work hard and make mid 170's in a year, then wait a year. A year could make a huge difference. Otherwise, you are taking a gamble regardless because you will not truly know whether you will be able to get into Harvard or not with your GPA. If I were you I would shoot for my dream, even if that dream didn't come true I would be proud that I tried and gave it my all. I think either way, you won't go wrong. You may end up not getting into Harvard, you may. Just prepare for that and be okay with the outcome as long as you did your best.

  • mdf1960mdf1960 Member
    54 karma

    I would take the October LSAT, hope for the best, and then apply to all the schools you are willing to go to after you get your score. You certainly aren't guaranteed a spot at Harvard even if you get a 173 or even a 175.

  • swanganieswanganie Yearly Member
    294 karma

    Oh wow this is popping up after 2 months. I'm curious what you decided to do @logan1313. I'm in a similar situation and actually came to my own decision today to just go all in for the Oct LSAT (given the test change date is coming up hah) and this fall app cycle. It's going to be a really tough with full-time but worst case, I will have tried my best in the next 2months. In your case, the T3's also just a bit of a black box for what admissions are looking for each year so no guarantees even with a 180.

    Whatever your decision, best of luck!

  • iasdkadfg-1iasdkadfg-1 Alum Member
    118 karma

    I just don't see the point in delying for another year.. I would take the october lsat and apply this year to all three of them with whatever score I have

  • Kimo_GandallKimo_Gandall Member
    12 karma

    Dig in and get into the 170s. There's no reason to rush into law school, especially at the price tag most schools demand. Another bonus would be avoiding this cycle... which is expected to be brutal.

  • logan1313logan1313 Alum Member
    69 karma

    Hi @swanganie thanks for the comment. I ended up deciding the opposite actually. I am going to keep grinding until I am able to get above a 173 and wait until next cycle to apply This decision came after a lot of thought and discussion with my partner, tutor, and consultant. While either choice has its benefits, I feel confident about my decision for me. I'm bummed to be delaying another year, but I am hopeful that the time and my hard work will pay off.

    Cheers and good luck!!

  • Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    382 karma

    I'd wait it out and try to do better. Your future self will be thanking your past self for having some kind of impulse control and making an arguably more cost-effective decision. After all, breaking into the 170s could mean so much more scholarship money.

Sign In or Register to comment.