Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm back.

shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
in General 463 karma
Hello everyone,
I guess let me start with a brief overview of my story. I originally made the decision to pursue law school about a year ago. I prepped (and slacked off) all summer and took the September 2014 LSAT. Not surprisingly I blew it; I got a 145. But I tried to stay confident. I took a few months off to collect my thoughts and relax. I purchased the 7Sage course and the Cambridge packets with my Christmas bonus and started prep. I went pretty hard for a few months then I hit a standstill. I tried getting back into studying, but my brain was not focused enough for the LSAT. I felt guilty for not studying and I felt hopeless. I made the realization that I would have to put off school another year mainly due to financial woes, which was discouraging. When I first made the decision on pursuing law school, I wanted to start fall 2015. I turned 30 this year, I'm ready to get life going. I also had a lot of stressors in my life between work, school, and family. By Easter, I was in a deep depression (again). And I very nearly admitted myself to the hospital (again). So, I took a step back and said a big "screw you" to the LSAT. I got my meds adjusted, started one-on-one therapy, attempted to eat healthier, and increased my involvement in group therapy. I knew I had to get healthy before I could even attempt LSAT prep. So, for two months I haven't done anything related to the LSAT. I'm not all the way there but I feel like I am ready to start slowly welcoming the LSAT into my life. I know I am basically going to have to start from scratch but I feel better about that now. I feel like I can finally read about the LSAT and not feel despair.

I guess today I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone had any advice for my situation. I feel like I need to start slow perhaps do some logic games (my favorite and strongest section) to get back into LSAT "fun." I work full-time so I am fully aware of the stress this puts on me especially after what I've been through the last few months. I feel like that if I am just able to study an hour a day at first that is a step in the right direction. Of course I want to do more but I also don't want to wind up where I've been. Time management has been an issue. I also need to make sure I take the LSAT and my issues very seriously.

But I am looking at hopefully December for a retake. At this point, I'm definitely not taking it until I feel ready. I'll probably see how I feel in November if I'm not ready plan on February, if I'm not ready in January, wait until June so on and so forth. I'm hoping for a retake no later than June 2016 but we will see. My GPA is not too great so I need to score in the very high 160s to low 170s at least. And based off my BR scores in the past I think that is possible. Timing is the biggest issue on LG and some on RC, on LR practice will hopefully make perfect.

What I am thinking is maybe this weekend if I have the time take a timed diagnostic and BR it just to see what taking months off has done to me. I've taken the June 2007 PT so many times so I'll probably use some other random PT I've never taken. And then start back prepping slowly Monday.

I guess I'm just mainly rambling, but if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @shine.on.me said:
    maybe this weekend if I have the time take a timed diagnostic and BR it just to see what taking months off has done to me.
    Well, if you're up for it, you could take PT65 and join us for Saturday evening BR group. We are pretty fun and gentle (in a really intense way) and all about "real talk" regarding the LSAT. The struggle is real. We (if I can speak for the group) try to be encouraging yet uncompromising in our quest for understanding. I plan on baring my soul while drinking a lot of Diet Dr. Pepper.

I'm in a similar boat (as a 29 year old splitter, some would say super splitter ;) ).

Ramping up slowly is wise. Yes, do what's fun (BR group is fun, but whatever is fun for you). Tell yourself about how much you LOVE the LSAT, LOVE studying for the LSAT, LOVE getting questions wrong on the LSAT ... It was pretty creepy how the other day I realized that I secretly really enjoy getting questions wrong because in BR I suck all of the life out of them and put them in their place, emerging with extra life force/understanding. And a question like that one will never get me again, etc. So, yeah: fake it til you make it true.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    AND if you're not up for group BR, I am always down for some fun and logic games in one-on-one or small group study arrangements. @amanda_kw and I were in the habit of meeting weekly to do a RC passage together—read it timed, then go through the questions together (to see how the other reasoned through the Q's). Could also work well with LG or LR, perhaps by QT. @"Jordan McMahon" and @amanda_kw and I also did some deep-dives into logic, using refreshed tools to dissect some MbT and SA Q's. So yeah, those are helpful arrangements as well :D
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    edited June 2015 463 karma
    Thank you @nicole.hopkins. I don't know if I will have time to do a PT this weekend especially Saturday, my niece's birthday but if I do I may join the BR group. But maybe some one-on-one will be good. I will think about my options and get with you if needed. :-) I'm excited about getting back in LSAT land.

I saw this comic today that made me think of reasoning flaws and I had to laugh. http://www.gocomics.com/frazz

I hope that works my basic HTML is very rusty.

And thanks again for your words of wisdom from another super splitter. :-)
  • JuliaZLSATJuliaZLSAT Member
    77 karma
    I am in a similar situation as well. I took a year off of school to study LSAT and ended up procrastinating most of it. Even after taking a prep course with another company I am still at mid 150s which is unacceptable for a school that I want to go to. So I start 7Sage and do all the curriculum, again. I beat myself up for not studying enough every single day, only to not study the next day again. It is tough!!! Going slowly and giving yourself enough time to postpone the actual test until you are ready is my strategy. Visiting this web site and doing some work every day, no matter how little, is another step for me. First it is one lesson, then one section and before you know it, it is one test and one whole BR or even both in one day! We can do it, and we can conquer it! I know!!!