Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

concentration problem

hyemifaith6017hyemifaith6017 Alum Member
edited October 2013 in General 12 karma
When I take PTs, I tend to lose concentration after first 2 sections, or sometimes just right after few questions on the 1st section. I found myself keep reading the premise over and over without actually understanding it. Or my mind wonders restlessly. I have never considered myself someone who has a concentration problem, but I do these days. As an international student whose dominant language is not English, I have to focus 100% on the test in order to understand, but these days, I am finding it so hard to do so, and it is extremely frustrating and stressful. Is there any one who is experiencing or experienced same thing or anyone who can help me resolve this? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
    edited October 2013 377 karma
    I have been there before. Honestly, I think the 7sage lesson on how to read helped me tremendously. I think one potential reason to your problem may be that you are reading but not understanding what you are reading. This problem is understandable given the LSAT, in my opinion, is written in a very boring fashion. You have to understand they do this, to reflect what reading law may be like. As a potential law student you have to learn to read using an active reading method. For example, constantly hunt for the Conclusion Premise, Ask you self before reading the stimulus, what is my strategy for this type of question(if you don't know, give it a shot, but understand that this is a weakness that you can improve on).

Also, where and what time are you taking your PT? What are you eating before? How many hours of quality sleep are you getting on the night before your PT?
  • hyemifaith6017hyemifaith6017 Alum Member
    12 karma
    Thank you so much for your comment. I will definitely check out the lesson on how to read. I see what you mean by an active reading method.I am taking my PTS in my room, trying to take it by 9 AM as my real test is going to be at 9AM. I am planning to take my PTs in different locations such as library or coffee shop. Generally I sleep for about 6 to 7 hours before my PTs. I hope I can concentrate better.
  • E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
    377 karma
    Well, I think that 6 hours is not enough. Try 7-8 hours. I would avoid coffee shops, try them after you have overcome your issue of concentration. Try to look for libraries that have quiet study rooms or reserved rooms. Once you have gained you concentration to a normal level then try to noisy environment.
  • KatherineKatherine Alum Member
    136 karma
    Another strategy you might want to try during the week between full PTs, is to do single 35-minute sections of older tests. Once you're able to concentrate on 1, then add a 2nd one. That has really helped me with concentration and speed...and building up confidence.
    12 karma
    Thank you so much for your great comments and advise. I will try to work on my concentration by trying quiet library and doing single 35 minute sections. Thanks again.
  • PeterPeter Free Trial Member
    edited October 2013 90 karma
    I use to really struggle with concentration as well. I started forcing myself to read, almost anything really, for at least an hour a day and that dramatically improved my stamina. Also, be cognizant of what you eat. Diets high in fat tend to dampen your focus. Also, don't take PTs on a full stomach. With regards to sleep, I read somewhere you do your best when you've had about 1 hr less sleep than you're naturally accustomed to. For most people that means 6 hours or so. The slight sleep deprivation causes a small adrenaline kick which is perfect for cognitive tasks.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    One other method you could try is to initially keep a 5 minute gap at the end of each section while PTing - concentration in short spurts helps...try doing that for a bit...like maybe 4 to 5 tests..this is also recommended by some really high scorers on the test ...
    12 karma
    Thank you so much for your input. I will try to sleep less, 6 hours or so and watch out for what I eat. I recently bought a Kindle just to improve my reading comprehension. ^^ I am going to read as much as I can whenever and wherever I can. I am trying to read at least for an hour every day. I hope this helps. And keeping a 5 minute gap at the end of each section sounds like a great idea. I will try. Thank you so much all of you for the insight.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma
    Thanks for helping a fellow student. You guys are wonderful.
  • cmahdy338cmahdy338 Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    I've been practicing using my pencil or finger as a pointer in order to draw my eyes in. Usually my mind follows suit.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma
    I'm an idiot for not mentioning this. I ALWAYS do that. My pencil is under every word I read.