PT7.S3.Q7 (P1): Really difficult to get an answer to RC questions so would appreciate any help

Ashley2018Ashley2018 Monthly Member
edited July 2021 in Reading Comprehension 2054 karma

The title is pretty self-explanatory but I need help on #7. Why is E incorrect? And what makes A the right fit? I feel that I have no strategy when it comes to these argument completion style questions, especially when it comes to answer choices that just both sound right. I ultimately had trouble picking an answer at all because the entire passages seemed geared towards discussing how and why women were disadvantaged in the work force; the last sentence literally ended on women but both of these answer choices included men. Even the comments section for this passage contains unanswered questions as to why E is incorrect; one was from a former tutor posted five years ago.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-7-section-3-passage-1-questions/

Comments

  • ToolinshedToolinshed Monthly Member
    edited July 2021 42 karma

    For questions that ask you to do something like "continue the passage" It's really important that the answer choice is;

    A. Descriptively accurate
    B. Is within the tone of the passage/area.

    One thing that instantly jumps out to me for why E is wrong is, "Continue to widen."
    The tone of the passage as a whole is geared towards explaining the current situation of the labor market. The future wasn't mentioned. Assuming that the gap will continue to widen is thus, too extreme. Also not as obvious, "the institutions in society that favor men" seems farfetched as well. Certainly a little more supportable than the second half of the answer, however-- you're still left making big assumptive leaps.

    As for A, it just fits in really nicely at the end of the paragraph. You don't have to make crazy assumptions. According to the passage, men will be "better able to" enjoy the labor markets. Of course they will be better able to, they don't have to take care of a child to the extent of women(P3/4).

    Notice the dichotomy of the two answer choices. One you have to "try" to find support for, as for the other, it's given to you in the passage.

  • Ashley2018Ashley2018 Monthly Member
    2054 karma

    @Toolinshed said:
    For questions that ask you to do something like "continue the passage" It's really important that the answer choice is;

    A. Descriptively accurate
    B. Is within the tone of the passage/area.

    One thing that instantly jumps out to me for why E is wrong is, "Continue to widen."
    The tone of the passage as a whole is geared towards explaining the current situation of the labor market. The future wasn't mentioned. Assuming that the gap will continue to widen is thus, too extreme. Also not as obvious, "the institutions in society that favor men" seems farfetched as well. Certainly a little more supportable than the second half of the answer, however-- you're still left making big assumptive leaps.

    As for A, it just fits in really nicely at the end of the paragraph. You don't have to make crazy assumptions. According to the passage, men will be "better able to" enjoy the labor markets. Of course they will be better able to, they don't have to take care of a child to the extent of women(P3/4).

    Notice the dichotomy of the two answer choices. One you have to "try" to find support for, as for the other, it's given to you in the passage.

    The video explanation stated that the word "thus" in front of answer choice E sounded off but he didn't really elaborate any further...what about it is off?

  • ToolinshedToolinshed Monthly Member
    edited July 2021 42 karma

    I can't speak for JY, but maybe it sounded off to him because he isn't used to correct answer choices for this specific question type, starting off with "thus." I don't think "thus" is an issue at all, or to the extent of, the other things I mentioned.

  • Ashley2018Ashley2018 Monthly Member
    2054 karma

    @Toolinshed said:
    I can't speak for JY, but maybe it sounded off to him because he isn't used to correct answer choices for this specific question type, starting off with "thus." I don't think "thus" is an issue at all, or to the extent of, the other things I mentioned.

    Why is it ok to pick an answer choice that does talk about men in the labor force? That threw me off and I want to know why that aversion is unwarranted for this particular question.

  • ToolinshedToolinshed Monthly Member
    42 karma

    @Ashley2018 said:

    @Toolinshed said:
    I can't speak for JY, but maybe it sounded off to him because he isn't used to correct answer choices for this specific question type, starting off with "thus." I don't think "thus" is an issue at all, or to the extent of, the other things I mentioned.

    Why is it ok to pick an answer choice that does talk about men in the labor force? That threw me off and I want to know why that aversion is unwarranted for this particular question.

    I'm assuming you were hesitant about picking an answer choice that mentioned men, due to the passage being geared mostly towards women.

    It's ok in this case however, because men are being used as contrast, to further support the authors ideas about women.

  • Ashley2018Ashley2018 Monthly Member
    2054 karma

    @Toolinshed said:

    @Ashley2018 said:

    @Toolinshed said:
    I can't speak for JY, but maybe it sounded off to him because he isn't used to correct answer choices for this specific question type, starting off with "thus." I don't think "thus" is an issue at all, or to the extent of, the other things I mentioned.

    Why is it ok to pick an answer choice that does talk about men in the labor force? That threw me off and I want to know why that aversion is unwarranted for this particular question.

    I'm assuming you were hesitant about picking an answer choice that mentioned men, due to the passage being geared mostly towards women.

    It's ok in this case however, because men are being used as contrast, to further support the authors ideas about women.

    "It's ok in this case however, because men are being used as contrast, to further support the authors ideas about women."

    Oh, that's such an elegant way to put it! And yes, I was hesitant to pick it because I thought the passage was geared towards talking about women so I was looking for an answer that would further elaborate on what the last sentence was talking about...and I guess A does that? So E is not supported because there isn't anything in the passage to support the idea that this gap between men and women in the labor force will widen? Does the author think this status quo will continue or is that too speculative a question to know for sure?

  • ToolinshedToolinshed Monthly Member
    edited July 2021 42 karma

    "So E is not supported because there isn't anything in the passage to support the idea that this gap between men and women in the labor force will widen?"

    Yes. Even if it were to be implicit, there is still more support for A.

    "Does the author think this status quo will continue or is that too speculative a question to know for sure?"

    "Indeed, as long as the labor markets remain hostile to parents... women will seriously be disadvantaged in the labor market." (64-8)

Sign In or Register to comment.