Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typos in Writing Sample- should I re-do?

Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
edited July 2021 in General 316 karma

Hi all,

I was reading over my June 2021 writing sample today and noticed I have 4 typos. I definitely ran out of time near the end to do a proper review. For context, my sample is 7 paragraphs (including intro and conclusion) and is almost 2 pages in length (1.5 spaced, size 12 font). I think I presented a strong and well written argument overall. I genuinely like the argument I made for the prompt and would like to keep it as is. However, I respect and understand that the sample is also meant to test our grammar, spelling, and time management, so I don't mind re-doing it during my October administration.

Does anyone know whether multiple typos really are make it or break it? Also, I'm not 100% sure I'll be taking the LSAT again, so I'm not even sure I'll be able to re-do it. If this is the case, am I screwed?

These are the 4 typos I made:
1. "In financial in other ways" (forgot to include an "and" in between financial/ in) - located in introductory paragraph
2. misspelled critics as "cirtics" (every other time I mention the word critics, it is spelled correctly)
3. "at he beginning" (meant to write at "the" beginning) [typo 2 and 3 are in the same sentence ]
4. Misspelled orchestra as "ochestra" (I spell the word correctly every other time)- located in conclusion

I've read mixed things about whether it should be re-done or not/ how big of a deal this is. Any insight would be great :) Thank you!

Should i re-do the writing sample?
  1. What do you recommend/ what would you do?8 votes
    1. Keep as is
      87.50%
    2. Re-do
      12.50%

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

You'll get differing opinions, but I'll just offer two pieces of info to help make your decision:

1. The writing samples are quite often ignored. That's not to say yours will be (or that they have no utility), and schools if asked, I'm sure will say they absolutely read them all... but the former admissions officers I spoke/worked with have all said they rarely if ever used them. To quote one former UVA app reader, "of the thousands of apps I read, I probably looked at two writing samples." I had one that my consultant said was "not terrible but not great" that I opted not to redo, and did just fine admissions-wise.

2. Your current sample will not be replaced... they'll just get an extra one if you redo it. So if they're looking, they'll see both anyway.

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

@canihazJD thanks so much for the insight!