In need of advice re: non-binding deferrals.

Hey all,

I need some advice on the upcoming admissions cycle. I was granted a non-binding deferral of admission to my first choice school (a UC-system law school) to attend beginning in the Fall of 2022. Being a non-binding deferral, the school cannot guarantee the amount of merit-based aid I will receive. During the last admissions cycle I was offered merit-based aid from this school amounting to about 75% of tuition costs.

I have three questions given this situation:
1. Would it be a good idea to apply to other schools just in case the aid offer from my first choice school is much worse than expected?
2. Would it be considered unethical for me to apply to other schools, or to use offers from other schools to negotiate my merit-based aid offer with my first-choice school (the one that granted a deferral)? I should note that the deferral agreement that the school provided did not say that I couldn’t apply to other schools.
3. My LSAT score is at the 75th percentile for my first choice school and above the 75th percentile for similarly ranked schools. Assuming that I could improve that score somewhat, would it be a good idea to retake the LSAT to try to improve my scholarship offer from my first choice school?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

@Chimaera said:
    1. Would it be a good idea to apply to other schools just in case the aid offer from my first choice school is much worse than expected?'

Yes. You want other options and negotiation leverage.

1. Would it be considered unethical for me to apply to other schools, or to use offers from other schools to negotiate my merit-based aid offer with my first-choice school (the one that granted a deferral)? I should note that the deferral agreement that the school provided did not say that I couldn’t apply to other schools.

No. It's non-binding.

1. My LSAT score is at the 75th percentile for my first choice school and above the 75th percentile for similarly ranked schools. Assuming that I could improve that score somewhat, would it be a good idea to retake the LSAT to try to improve my scholarship offer from my first choice school?

Yes, especially with the expected median increases and continued competitiveness... some are even predicting less scholarship money to go around. If you think you can raise your score, go for it.