Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No score improvement from diagnostic. Is a tutor worthwhile?

I began studying for the LSAT in late May in anticipation for the August test. I read through a short book on term logic, which turned out to be a very helpful primer for understanding logical rules and conditionals. After reading the book, I began the Core Curriculum in mid June and completed it in early to mid July. I then began practice tests. I have just a few practice tests under my belt, but I am not scoring higher than my diagnostic score, and I'm finding that I'm not consistently within time for sections.

I'm rather concerned on a few things: 1) Is it even worth taking the August test if I'm still no where near I want to be as of today in terms of my score? 2) The lack of significant improvement despite performing well during the Core Curriculum is bothersome. Would a tutor be a good option for this sort of situation?

Thanks.

Comments

• CripTheLawCripTheLaw Member
    45 karma

I think it really depends on where you started on your diagnostic. If you started at a 160 then it could make sense as you are building up fundamentals that you intuitively understood to start. If you are in the mid 140s then I am curious how well you are retaining and applying what you are learning in the curriculum. Are you doing blind review and regular review in your practice? Two months at the start of studying with zero improvement is certainly atypical if you are learning and practicing your weak areas and properly reviewing. Perhaps a tutor will be able to help you at least identify why you are not improving.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    edited August 2021 2249 karma

You really need to find the right tutor. Most are just out for the money and don't care about your progress. From last November until late July, I went through literally a dozen tutors before finding the right one. I literally had 2-3 who lied about their score so I wouldn't recommend tutors that demand you to pay them up front. Been there, done that. And it might even be necessary to get more than one tutor depending on their speciality.