Extra Section Driving Down Score - To push?

trishuestrishues Member
edited August 2021 in August 2021 LSAT 130 karma

Hi all,

So I have been studying for the LSAT for over a year and scoring consistently in the 170s. I always planned on taking the FLEX test so I have always studied with 3 section test. After not scoring how I wanted to on the June exam, I had to sign up for August, and start practicing with four sections.

I have been doing the "experimental" section first to see how the extra section is impacting my stamina. Holy score drop. MY BR scores are the same, but my fatigue by the end of the 4 section is causing mistakes (mid 160s).

I am wondering if I should push to October, or try to build stamina in this last week/week and a half. I dont like where pushing the test puts me for applications, but I really dont want an unrepresentative score on my file. I have noticed the fatigue is lessened over the past 2 PTs.... what would you do? Is it ignorant to think that the adrenaline of the test might help with fatigue?

Comments

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

A couple of things to think about:

1) When you take the exam, do you take it an optimal time for your brain? I notice a huge difference in focus and stamina if I take it in the morning after coffee versus after work when I'm exhausted. That alone could be the difference.

2) Do you "check out" because of the experimental section? I was guilty of this early on because knowing that it was not scored made me treat the section a little more lightly than I should have in my PT's. That could play a role in the score dip.

• trishuestrishues Member
    130 karma

@oychoi79 1) yes always take the exam fresh 2) I do not check out, in fact, my experimental ends up being my highest scored section (my normal score) when I take it because I take it first. It's the later sections that seem to get impacted from my fatigue

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

Hmmm if there are no other factors that could be contributing to the lack of stamina, then I suppose it could be worth delaying to October. I'm just hesitant to suggest that because if you score in the 170's, you are clearly ready material-wise. But I do suppose it's a factor in considering to push back.

If you know 100% that stamina is holding you up from scoring your potential, have enough PT's to hold you through, and are okay with testing later than you would have expected, then it does seem like a sound reason to reschedule.

But again, please consider rescheduling carefully.

• trishuestrishues Member
    130 karma

@oychoi79 I am sure it's stamina.. but I am low on material at this point and I would like to apply in September (materials are ready).... I guess I am also wondering if the effort to try and build stamina would also be fruitless? Like if I took two more 4 section PTs before next Saturday?

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

You lose nothing by pushing to a later test date (October is still very early in the cycle), and could lose a lot from testing before you're ready. If this test has taught me one thing in the past year it is that you cannot push or brute force your way to being ready for the LSAT. Take the time you need, be sure you feel as ready as you can before sitting for this test, you will perform better from a place of confidence, not just preparedness. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll crush it!! :)