Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Taking Practice Exams

CashhhyyyCashhhyyy Core Member
edited August 2021 in General 583 karma

Hello :)
I have put aside one month of studying just to focus on taking practice exams. My question to some of you that have taken a large amount of test exams:
1. Would you recommend skipping to the more modern exams? Such as 70+
2. Have you noticed differences between old vs. modern exams?
3. How many practice exams would you say you took before LSAT?

Practice Exams
  1. Would you recommend skipping to the more modern exams? Such as 70+33 votes
    1. Yes it's best if you do
      48.48%
    2. Nah, start from scratch
      51.52%
  2. How many practice exams would you say you took before LSAT?33 votes
    1. 1-20
      45.45%
    2. 21+
      54.55%

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

I wanted to specify my answer choice a bit more: Save the most recent tests for the weeks leading up to your official test date.

• mnkimmnkim Member
    137 karma

This largely depends on several factors: your target score, your current PT range, and how much time you would be willing to put in for that score. If you are looking for a 5 point increase from 160 to 165, 20 PTs might be plenty and you shouldn't really waste too much time on the older ones at that point. If you are looking to push your score to as high as possible and are willing to study for the LSAT in the long term, save the newer PTs and start by drilling the CC, especially in the section you are weak at.

I took around 50 PTs over 5 months, starting with PTs 30+ and then drilling LG from PT1-35. There is a noticeable difference in the earlier PTs and the newer PTs; even PTs 40-50s felt different from newer PTs. I ended up with a 20 point improvement on my actual test since my diagnostic.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2021 8318 karma

From scratch... say the end of the CC or some other course, I think it is reasonable to break 170 in 10-15 PTs and comfortably average 170+ by 15-20, if you are reviewing at adequate depth and actually putting in the work to improve as opposed to just seeing content. As far as your questions, it depends where you're at and what you are tying to score. Regardless, one month of PT'ing is a very short amount of time... meaning any significant improvement is, while not unheard of, a pretty big ask. I don't think I'd try to do more than 5-6 timed PTs with accompanying drilling material in that time.

@Cashhhyyy said:
    Would you recommend skipping to the more modern exams? Such as 70+

Generally without more info, yes.

Have you noticed differences between old vs. modern exams?

Yes, which is why all things equal, see the newer content.

How many practice exams would you say you took before LSAT?

Personally, 24 to land me conformably in the high 170s PT average, in order to feel confident in pulling a 170+ on test day.