Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for timing

I had recently been going about taking PTS but rather untimed to see whether or not I'd be able to decipher the correct answer with the choices provided. On LR using this method I have gone -2 and -1, but I continue to struggle with timing. I possess the same issue with RC buts it way worse as I don't even have time to reach the the questions of the final passage before time expires. Any suggestions to improve on timing in these two sections?

Comments

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    edited August 2021 462 karma

If you are able to get to -1 and -2 on LR untimed, it means you know the material well. It’s time to drop the training wheels and rampen up the intensity by going timed sections consistently. This will be uncomfortable at first as your score will drop but that is where you really critically need to Blind Review after each timed section.

When you do timed, you fall back on the unconscious habits and techniques you have internalized. In the heat of the moment, you are going to do exactly what you’ve been doing, not what you think you should do. Hope that makes sense.

And then in BR, you should be asking yourself, why did I do the question like that? Why did I take so long? And then reflect on things you should have done, things you should have noticed and then internalize that for the next round.

So get in the boxing ring, get the shit knocked out of you, review the film for what you should have done against yourself opponent, internalize it, and then go back in again.

And then sooner or later, your score will keep going up and then the roles will reverse. That once scary beast of an opponent called “Timing” will start to get his ass handed to him daily until he is your little b****

That’s how you do it. Untimed is to build up the knowledge and fundamentals. Timed sections is now where you refine it. The more you delay timed at this point, the longer you delay your progress.

You know the material absolutely. So get in the boxing ring and beat this exam’s ass