Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sad.

I've taken the LSAT 4 times now, 144, 159, 159, and I just got my August LSAT with a 156. What doesn't make sense? My PTs were always 170s. I don't want to take this test again, I can't put myself through that stress again. I graduated undergrad in 2017, and had to take some time off for financial and health reasons, I really want to start this cycle. My GPA wasn't that great, 3.4. I was aiming at UNC and University of Texas at Austin but obviously I am far below their median this time. Should I even apply? How is it viewed when you get even lower points on a test you've already taken 3x? Is it even realistic to apply to schools whos median is far above our scores?

Comments

• Connie09Connie09 Member
    24 karma

Hey friend,

I think you still have options, retaking it is one but honestly, I think you should try and start applying to law school, maybe apply to some schools that may not be your dream school that take your LSAT score. Unless you are trying to get into Big Law, then just apply, get into a law school, and get your JD. And there's always an option of transferring to another school.

And if you want to retake the exam have you tried reviewing those old exams you have taken and see what went wrong? What question types are you missing? Are your high PT's because you've burnt through the same questions already and just memorized the prior answers?

• 790 karma

I know it's hard. But coming from a 144 to a 159 takes so much studying and dedication and you should really be proud of yourself. a 159 puts you in the top quartile of all test takers and it is not something to look down on. UNC is one of my top choices too, I got a 159 in June and I'm retaking in October to hopefully get closer to their median. But you can get in to some great law schools with your 159, and maybe with money. REMEMBER: the median is just that: a median...50% of the entering class has BELOW the median. While covid caused numbers to go up, you are really close to the median for UNC in 2020 (a 161). You deserve to move past this test if you truly don't want to continue wrestling it - apply. write a killer essay and show the admissions committee that you are much more than this test and you can bring something wonderful to their school!

• blencowe24blencowe24 Core Member
    10 karma

@MonkeyMammoth24 said:
    I know it's hard. But coming from a 144 to a 159 takes so much studying and dedication and you should really be proud of yourself. a 159 puts you in the top quartile of all test takers and it is not something to look down on. UNC is one of my top choices too, I got a 159 in June and I'm retaking in October to hopefully get closer to their median. But you can get in to some great law schools with your 159, and maybe with money. REMEMBER: the median is just that: a median...50% of the entering class has BELOW the median. While covid caused numbers to go up, you are really close to the median for UNC in 2020 (a 161). You deserve to move past this test if you truly don't want to continue wrestling it - apply. write a killer essay and show the admissions committee that you are much more than this test and you can bring something wonderful to their school!

I just received my August LSAT score and Im pretty disappointed in myself. After reading this I feel a lot better about my chances at getting into the school I am looking at. Just wanted to say thank you for brightening my day.

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

I really like what @MonkeyMammoth24 said. At some point, you do have to move on with your life. Part of that is leveling with yourself about your legal career. Do you aspire to sit on the Supreme Court, work as a US Attorney, or be a partner at a Big Law firm? If the answer to that is "no", then beating yourself into a pulp to get some higher LSAT score is not the right move (full disclosure: I am a full-time LSAT tutor, so it's definitely not in my best interest to discourage further studying). You mentioned UNC and Texas, which is surprising to me. I'd only go to either if I was planning on practicing law in either North Carolina or Texas. Law school outside of the top-14/15, whatever (or to be completely honest outside of YHS), is really a regional game. Here in Georgia, most of the people I encounter practicing law on a daily basis went to UGA or Georgia State, and Georgia State has a 158 LSAT median. Is someone making a horrific decision by going to Georgia State? Not if they want to practice in Atlanta and are comfortable with the sorts of legal jobs a median performance at Georgia State will open to them. If you're going to take your 159 and see what comes from it, start with the basic question: where do you want to practice law?

I don't know where you live or want to practice, but 3.4/159 opens a whole slew of flagship state university law schools to you. Law is prestige-obsessed and that inculcates in those who aspire to enter it a type of absolutist thinking that is not that helpful. You want to be a lawyer, and you can definitely be one with your current stats.

All that being said, if you want to keep pushing on this LSAT, then more power to you. Before you take another step in this direction, you've got to take a step back and assess. It is highly unusual for you to test in the 170s in practice but then not break 160 in reality. If those 170s were faithful (timing is everything), then you might have a serious issue with test anxiety. Meditation and therapy can help with this and perhaps bring your actual performance into line with what is your demonstrated ability.

Please remember this if nothing else...the only wrong choice you could make at this stage would be giving up altogether!

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I just want to give a digital hug wherever you're at. This shit is tough.

• bryanlop24bryanlop24 Core Member
    7 karma

Still apply. You miss all the shots, you don't take !!

• edited September 2021 790 karma

@blencowe24 said:

@MonkeyMammoth24 said:

I just received my August LSAT score and Im pretty disappointed in myself. After reading this I feel a lot better about my chances at getting into the school I am looking at. Just wanted to say thank you for brightening my day.

you are so welcome!!! I am glad I could make your day brighter. I think it's important to remember that while 7Sage is a wonderful community, it is very concentrated with dedicated people who have extremely high standards. A lot of people get in their head that if they don't hit a school's median, they have no chance. But -- by definition -- that is not at all what it means. I wish you the best of luck with applying!!!

• BooheredBoohered Member
    56 karma

This is tough. Were your PT's in the 170's for this final round and then you got 156? My average PT is high 160's and I got 162 on this latest one, a total surprise. I heard from a lot of people that this was an unusually hard test, but I'm not sure whether that is true or whether that is just coping. I was certainly surprised. The score I got was roughly 6-7 points lower, and I know a few other people for whom it went the exact same way. Honestly I am not sure what the deal is.

If your plan is Big Law, know that it is still an option: if you are in pretty much any law school and you make the top 10% of your class then you will be recruited by a big law firm and get that fat salary if that is what you are after.

For me, I will say that not getting a 170+ as quickly as I wanted has made me question what I want to do: Do I want to go to law school? Or do I just want to have a top tier school like Harvard, Stanford, or Yale attached to my name? There is nothing wrong with asking yourself the hard questions like this, and maybe the answer is that you don't really want to go to any law school. Don't be afraid of the answer; ask the question. I did, and I decided that there is work that I could do with a law degree which I could not do otherwise, and that I want to pursue this regardless. Being in this place now has made me realize how my mentality in the past was just not right. It may be hard, but on the plus side, you will be more at peace with yourself and more ready to throw yourself into the rest of your life if you answer the question honestly.

Moreover, a 159 is a score that some people fight for. Don't disregard that. Best of luck!

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

@Boohered said:

Moreover, a 159 is a score that some people fight for. Don't disregard that. Best of luck!

LOVE this!!

• oneclimboneclimb Alum Member
    268 karma

I was very much in the same place as you for about two years. Once I got the right help from a tutor, my score jumped to 170 average on PTs. Officially scored 166 in August after three scores in the 150s. I’m still working to reach my goal score. But finding the right private tutor/approach and getting my anxiety under control from the start could have saved me those two years and a lot of heartache.

I would try again and apply with your best score. It’s going to take some time to reach it, but it's worth the wait. Don’t waste what you’ve learned by settling. Keep going! You can endure more than you realize. Feel free to DM for anything. I'm happy to help.