Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 basic questions over logical reasoning.

help

Hi everyone! I have 2 questions.

1st. In logical reasoning, when the question stem asks for the main point, is that slightly different then it asking for the conclusion? I watched an explanation video for a main point, the question stem said “Which one of the following states the main point of the argument?” And JY said that the main point questions are looking for a summary of the conclusion. Rather, I notice when the question stem ask for us to state the conclusion it will be a more “word-for-word” explicit answer, leaning away from a summary type answer. Is this correct? Or does it depend on other factors?

2nd. Okay. Another question. Is not always the same as sometimes in logic?

Thank you so much.

I look forward to the #help!

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2021 2464 karma
    1. There is a slight difference, but I would say it's negligible. So I'd definitely treat them the same. The main point is synonymous with the conclusion; a conclusion is just a claim you are trying to prove via the support from the premises. In other words, it is the main point you are trying to convey in an argument. So yeah, try not to get too hung up on the semantics, as logically, you are being asked to perform the same task.

2. The function of "not always" serves to deny the truth of a universal claim. In other words, if we said its not always the case that all apples are bananas (A --> B), that would equate to the statement that there exists at least one apple which is not a banana, or A some /B . So to answer your question, not always (or not all) should be interpreted as at least one is not or some are not.

• 284 karma

Hi! I just read this... A tad late. This is an awesome answer! Thank you so much. Can I add you as a friend on here so that you can answer my future questions? I loved your explanation!> @Logician said:

1. There is a slight difference, but I would say it's negligible. So I'd definitely treat them the same. The main point is synonymous with the conclusion; a conclusion is just a claim you are trying to prove via the support from the premises. In other words, it is the main point you are trying to convey in an argument. So yeah, try not to get too hung up on the semantics, as logically, you are being asked to perform the same task.

2. The function of "not always" serves to deny the truth of a universal claim. In other words, if we said its not always the case that all apples are bananas (A --> B), that would equate to the statement that there exists at least one apple which is not a banana, or A some /B . So to answer your question, not always (or not all) should be interpreted as at least one is not or some are not.