Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Journey So Far: 149 --> 170

edited September 2021 in General 147 karma

Hi all. This morning I finally broke into the 170s. While I know I've still got some way to go (re: a real life LSAT to take) I wanted to share my story so far to give some hope to people like me who do not begin their studies in the 160s or even the 150s. Also, I think it's valuable to analyze the work one has done at multiple points of progress.

The beginning: I began studying for the LSAT in the spring of 2018. But, my journey was not at all constant. My first diagnostic I received a 149. I was crushed. My peers and family members had scores in the 160s and 170s. I felt destined to fall below my goals. I knew I needed some serious help to boost my score. That year, I took an online Powerscore course and read the Powerscore bibles. And let me tell you - my study habits were terrible. They were not purposeful. I expected the course to do the work for me. I did not even take whole practice tests because I was terrified about what I would see s my score after grading. But, four months later, I was accepted into a two-year work program. I chose to stop studying for the LSAT. I was afraid of failing. So, I just put the test behind me. I did not return to studying until October 2020. Even then, my attitude was terrible. I felt horrifically dumb when I got any questions wrong. I wasn't improving, and I was falling into the test maker's trap of zapped mental inertia, which further deflated my scores. So, once again thinking if I ignored the LSAT all together my problems would go away, I stepped back from studying again.

Now: I whipped myself into shape when I started studying in June of 2021. I plan to submit my apps the first day they open for the 2023 cycle. This time, my "diagnostic" (not really, I'd studied before) was a 158. Alright, doable. I read through the bibles once again, got the wonderful 7sage, read loophole, and this time had a personal tutor. I cannot stress how important my tutor has been to the journey so far. Having a person there to identify my weaknesses, strengths, and create a plan took away my biggest weakness; studying without purpose. Even with all of this improvement, I was stuck in the low 160s. I was working full time, barely sleeping, and hardly eating from the stress of packing in study hours at the end of the long day.

This week, I decided to focus on my mental health. And holy crap, did that work. I made myself get a full night's sleep every night. I ate three full meals, which I had not been doing. I make my goal more manageable. I said "all I want from this practice test is to improve my average." Prior to every other test, I thought - if i don't get a 170, my test was a failure. At the end of that week, I got a 170 timed and a 178 in blind review.

My study experiences are atypical. Many don't study for this test as long/as randomly as I did. But, I think the time I took away from the test was really valuable, especially for someone with such a low diagnostic. The processes marinated in the back of my mind for years. And then, when I was ready to study with purpose and accept that this test would not determine my success as an attorney, my score jumped. And by jumped, I mean a jump from low 160s to 170.

Long story short: everyone can improve by focusing on their mental health. Remove this stress from the test. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask :)

Comments

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Congratulations on mastering the LSAT! I can relate as my journey has/is been similar. My diagnostic was 140 in 2018 and is now scratching 160. I used to complain when I was in the low 150's how would I make it to 160, but here I am.

• gaver456gaver456 Core Member
    108 karma

I kid you not I have such a similar story. Congrats and thank you so much for shining a light on how important mental health is. I took a 10 day break and my score shot up 9 points for the first time ever!

• MomobeeeMomobeee Alum Member
    16 karma

Congratulations!! May I ask where you got your amazing tutor from? I’m also considering adding tutoring into my study routine. My diagnosis was in the 150s. I work full time and I just don’t feel like I’m doing enough.

• Who was your tutor?

• BkKid590BkKid590 Free Trial Member
    4 karma

You got this !!

• marinuhhhmarinuhhh Core Member
    14 karma

congrats!!! if you don't mind sharing what was a helpful study plan for you?

• safmateen99safmateen99 Member
    22 karma

Congrats!! This is so inspiring. Any tips on how to get more purposeful with studying? Cause I can't afford a tutor.

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Go. Go. Go. Push. Push. Push.

Enjoy the journey :)

• BlueRiceCakeBlueRiceCake Member
    302 karma

Nice. Get Shrecked LSAC