PT1.S3.Q4 - The theory of military deterrence was based

moonstars5678moonstars5678 Member
edited September 2021 in Logical Reasoning 166 karma

I've browsed through some discussion forums on this passage, but wanted to see if my overall conditional logic thinking was correct. #help

Stim: Fear of retaliation --> deterrence

A) deterrence --> fear of retaliation (switches the logic)
B ) /fear --> deterrence (which also just makes no common sense)
C) deterrence --> fear of retaliation
D) I couldn't figure out a rough logic translation but the overall thought process tracked with that in the stimulus
E) deterrence --> need the best retaliation (which is just irrelevant)

Comments

• samksamk Core Member
    60 karma

I don't think about this question in terms of logic- it is a MBT, so we really just need to look for four "could be false" types.

A- it says that a nation can ONLY be deterred if it knows that it will be DESTROYED. Does our stimulus support that? Not really. I thought of it in two ways, one I thought "cannot defend" and "destroyed" are not in the same scope. Just because a country cannot defend itself against retaliation does not mean that it will be destroyed. Also, what if it was deterred from attacking because another third country asked them politely not to? or maybe for another reason

B- We dont know this from the stimulus at all, have no idea what nations who have a lot of power think about attacking other nations without that power. could definitely be false

C- Could definitely be false, maybe they dont attack because they are allies and trade partners.

D - Correct, matches perfectly with the stimulus- "maintain deterrence" and "seek deterrence," "reason to think" and "become aware"

E- Way out of scope twice. "maximum" and "greater than any other nation"

• moonstars5678moonstars5678 Member
    166 karma

@samk this was SO helpful. Thank you!