Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scoring variances in PT?

luckysat1luckysat1 Member
in General 167 karma

Took two PT's: PT4 & PT5. Both as Flex.

On PT4 I got -8 overall and received a total score of 169.

On PT5 I got -11 overall and received a score of 170.

I figure some of this would be due to weighting of questions with some tests being harder than others, which is I believe why we don't use 'raw scores', but this still seems kind of off? Is that degree of variation in scoring that common?

Mainly concerned because I am shooting for 170+ and had kind of been working on the assumption that I need to be dropping less than 10 questions to ensure that - generally this seems to be the case in most PT's I have done. Clearly that was a flaw in my reasoning!

Comments

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    edited September 2021 551 karma

Hi @luckysat1!

Some PTs have more or less questions than others. In other words, some PTs have more or less raw points that you can obtain.

For a PT scored out of 101 questions, you could get a 170 with more than 10 questions wrong.

PT5 is scored out of 101 questions and PT4 is scored out of 100 questions.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

Hi @luckysat1,

The score conversion table varies between test administrations. You might find the following post helpful: How to Calculate Your LSAT Scores and Percentile. Note that the score conversion table in that post is based on four-section PrepTests with the exception of PrepTest May 2020 which is a Flex.

The scaled scores generated from using "Flex mode" on 7Sage's digital tester use the same methodology as our Flex Score Converter which is based on having the same raw to scaled conversion table, but scored as though there was only one LR section (one half of the usual amount) with the raw score scaled up to account for the reduction in the number of questions. Because no one outside of LSAC knows how the scoring will actually be done, this is just an educated guess.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions