Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Motivation...Admissions Cycle

edited October 2021 in Law School Admissions 790 karma

When I started compiling my school list in May/June, I felt like I was very competitive candidate at some great schools. Especially Villanova, in 2020 their LSAT median was a 158 and GPA was 3.51. After covid, those numbers have gone up significantly. Their median LSAT is now a 162. My question is: Does this past year really make people who were competitive in 2020 less so now?

My GPA is a 3.92, I am a double major with experience working for local government, U.S. Congress, employment discrimination law firm in D.C., a teaching assistant for an entire academic year, a full time internship with a policy think tank in D.C., and some more extracurricular stuff such as studying abroad at the London School of Economics this year and involved in some clubs. However, my LSAT is a 159. I am taking it again in 2 weeks and I am psyching myself out and becoming extremely worried that this might be my last chance to get in anywhere.

Does anyone think I have a good chance at Villanova? Their covid numbers are 3.51-3.83 and 157-164.

Comments

• mhunt2017mhunt2017 Member
    84 karma

Don't sell yourself short, you sound like an excellent candidate! Villanova is also my first choice and I am taking the LSATs for the first time in 2 weeks so I am right there with you freaking out about their new medians. It helped me to watch/read some interviews Dean Saleh has done because Villanova does pride themselves on a more holistic approach to admissions. Best of luck on your retake and hopefully we will both make it to Nova next year :)

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

I would recommend listening to the interview will Jill Steier, who was a columbia and NYU admissions officer. She makes a comment that the mistake many applicants make is focusing too heavily on the median. She says the most important numbers of the 75th and 25th. 50% were in between those numbers. This means that half of the people accepted to Villanova are between a 157 and 164 you are within that range, with 25% below a 157. Your GPA being above the 75th will also really help.

There are plenty of good schools you can get into with your 159 and 3.92, not to mention your impressive resume. I agree with mhunt, don't sell yourself short!

• 790 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    I would recommend listening to the interview will Jill Steier, who was a columbia and NYU admissions officer. She makes a comment that the mistake many applicants make is focusing too heavily on the median. She says the most important numbers of the 75th and 25th. 50% were in between those numbers. This means that half of the people accepted to Villanova are between a 157 and 164 you are within that range, with 25% below a 157. Your GPA being above the 75th will also really help.

There are plenty of good schools you can get into with your 159 and 3.92, not to mention your impressive resume. I agree with mhunt, don't sell yourself short!

Thank you for your reply. I think you’re right about the median and being on 7Sage doesn’t help because I think there’s a huge focus on medians and stuff. I will definitely check out the interview!