PT5.S3.Q11- Professor Smith

I have no idea what C is trying to say, and no clue how can C be the answer that provides an alternative explanation to why the scientists are discrediting Smith. Can someone give an explanation? Thanks

help

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

C is saying that...maybe the scientists are just trying to provide evidence that would bring us closer to the truth...all because what they've found so far contradict's Smith's work. That's it.

• leoxnardxleoxnardx Member
    82 karma

@Ashley2018 said:
    C is saying that...maybe the scientists are just trying to provide evidence that would bring us closer to the truth...all because what they've found so far contradict's Smith's work. That's it.

ok I might be dumb. I have no idea why answer C translates into the alternative explanation of the scientists trying to bring evidence. Isn't C saying that "the author did not ask why the scientists are not providing new evidence?"

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

I think that's a decent paraphrase and yeah...the author should have been asking precisely that instead of just rushing to the conclusion that everybody else in the field was just out to get him. Imagine writing a paper about some topic and publishing it and then responding this way when your peers start critiquing your work: oh, you all are just out to get me!

• leoxnardxleoxnardx Member
    82 karma

@Ashley2018 said:
    I think that's a decent paraphrase and yeah...the author should have been asking precisely that instead of just rushing to the conclusion that everybody else in the field was just out to get him. Imagine writing a paper about some topic and publishing it and then responding this way when your peers start critiquing your work: oh, you all are just out to get me!

Holy smoke i see it now. That somehow just clicked in my head i was staring at this answer for so long having no clue why it is right. Thank you