Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on moving up another tier?

mattwhitworth56mattwhitworth56 Alum Member
in General 315 karma

Hey everyone!
I hope things are going well and studying hasn't been too stressful! I'm looking for some tips or advice, I've been plateauing in the mid 160's for about 3 weeks (I'd be content with that for sure, my goal score is right around there), but I was wondering if anyone had tips for the things I should work on to make a final jump? I got my first -0 today in the LG section (from -12 or 13 early on!) and my RC is something I'm pretty consistent with, usually -7ish. But my LR can be crazy inconsistent. Today the PT I took, both LR sections were 3 star difficulty, and I got -1 on one and -10 on the other. I've been blind reviewing and drilling the questions that the analytics page says I struggle with pretty often. I might've hit my peak score band because some of the questions are super difficult for me to understand even after BRing and watching explanation videos. It'd be nice to go up a little though so I could feel more at ease on test day.

Comments

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Monthly Member
    edited October 17 1299 karma

One thing that's helped me tremendously when I was scoring in the 160s was focusing even more scrupulously on the BR process: for LR, that meant not just reviewing what I'd missed but making it a point to "blind translate" stimuluses in the 11-25/26 question band, plus any others in the 1-10 band I'd missed, taken too long on, or flagged. Rather than typing, I have written everything down on paper (typing might work for some, but the act of writing helped me flesh out minutiae and make connections b/w the different parts of the stimulus more and thus allowed me to more readily ID gaps for arg-based Qs).

I also gave myself +/- 30 seconds to intake the stimulus, then flipped the screen and wrote things out without a timer. I used a black pen at first, then when I finished writing things out, compared my "translation" with the stimulus again and added critical parts I missed with a red pen, before evaluating A/Cs.

All of this helped me get a much higher BR score and helped me improve my timed runs and timing overall, too; I average between a -3 and a -1 pretty consistently. It's a process I needed to give enough time to see results, but they did come and they've since stuck around! I think it has a lot to do with forcing yourself to be a more careful, critical reader, and writing it out seemed to boost that effect for me.

I also did all this before watching/reading explanations across multiple sites, 7Sage included of course, and sometimes adding my own thoughts in the comments & posing my own questions. It was really surprising to me how much better and clearer I understood things when I really dove deep like this! Plus, I think understanding all the various perspectives people have had, even including flawed ones, helped me hardwire some new neural connections and how I saw and understood LR questions.

Oh, and I sleep more now, and that's helped me with everything in life. 😄

• mattwhitworth56mattwhitworth56 Alum Member
    315 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" thank you so much! Super helpful. I have been trying to "translate" the ones I get wrong and that has been helpful, it sounds like really focusing on that can help.