Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Rec question

I did a 2 year long research study in undergrad with a highly profound professor and her PhD student. I worked very closely with the PhD student and I know he would have a lot of good things to say about me in a letter of rec. The professor oversaw my work but didn't work as closely with me, however she has a lot of notoriety in her field. I'm not sure if she would write as good of a letter as the PhD student but she has a ton of experience and success.

I have 2 questions:

1) Is it acceptable to get 2 letters of rec from the same research project? (I can ask other professors as well but I know my research professor and her PhD student the best)

2) If I only use 1 letter of rec from this project, which one should I go with?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Definitely the phd student. You need a letter writer who really knows you and can sing your praises with lots of specifics. No one will be impressed by a generic letter from any source, regardless of their notoriety. They aren’t admitting the professor, they need to know you. That being said, I’d look for a second letter from another professor/TA/supervisor who also knows you well.
    Your want the things you say about yourself to match with what your transcripts, letters or rec, essays and resume all say. They should combine to tell the story of you.