Drop in scores - minor freakout before November LSAT

in General 296 karma

Hey Ya'll,

I had been PT'ing in at my goal score for the month of October (over an average on about 5 tests and numerous individual sections), and had been getting pretty solid section splits. I took one practice test last week, and dropped by 5 points, and now I'm getting a few bad section scores, especially on RC. My rational mind is wondering if this is nerves, burnout, or exhaustion. My inner critic, though, is telling me that maybe I don't have the skills after all, and that I've been getting lucky the past month. Does anyone have any advice or experience with why this might be happening, and how to make sure this doesn't happen on test day?

For context, I've been averaging about -2 or -3 on LR, and -4 or -5 on RC. Last few sections have of RC have been especially rough (-10, -8, -4, and -6).

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I think this is normal. There’s so much that goes into how we do: not every test is the same difficulty, some tests will be better suited to our strengthens than others, the environment around us, how we’re feeling that given day/moment, etc.

Easier said than done but try to not see one score as exactly representative of what you’re capable of. An avg of full on proper tests (not sections), IMO, is a much better way to see where you’re at.

If you’re struggling with RC, try to figure out what the root of the issue is. If you have someone you can talk to, bounce ideas and thoughts. Maybe you’re struggling to grasp concepts or maybe you’re not reading for structure, etc. Getting things wrong, however shitty and relatable it absolutely is, is also a chance to learn. Good luck!

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

please please, stop studying so much before the test. That was me for October. I was averaging my goal score 2 weeks before - a week before I started slipping and would score -10/-11 on RC, and LR, and -5 LG whereas before I was at -6 on RC and LR, and -2 on LG.

I was EXHAUSTED, and burnt out. I should've withdrawn, but I didn't and scored -7 on the test.

I recommend doing questions, but not looking at the answers, or do questions that you know the answers to, otherwise you will start doubting yourself. Your good scores were not merely luck. YOU ARE capable, you may just be exhausted.

This is just what happened to me, and I dont want it to happen to you!

@determinedpugrat said:
    Hey Ya'll,

I had been PT'ing in at my goal score for the month of October (over an average on about 5 tests and numerous individual sections), and had been getting pretty solid section splits. I took one practice test last week, and dropped by 5 points, and now I'm getting a few bad section scores, especially on RC. My rational mind is wondering if this is nerves, burnout, or exhaustion. My inner critic, though, is telling me that maybe I don't have the skills after all, and that I've been getting lucky the past month. Does anyone have any advice or experience with why this might be happening, and how to make sure this doesn't happen on test day?

For context, I've been averaging about -2 or -3 on LR, and -4 or -5 on RC. Last few sections have of RC have been especially rough (-10, -8, -4, and -6).

• 296 karma

@ledkarly this is great advice - thank you!
    @yunoninse thank you for the encouragement!!!