Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actual Score V. Scaled Score

annaemurphy279annaemurphy279 Core Member
edited November 2021 in General 99 karma

Hi,

I just wanted a little clarification on the scoring of PTs. For example, when I take a practice test and I get a -25 and it results in a 156, why then when I select getting -25 on the score conversion table it says it would result in a scaled score of 162? Is the scaled score the number law schools will see? Which one most closely conforms to my final score? Which one is the score that matters?

I see 156 and I panic, but then I see 162 and I think, eh, that's not too bad. I'm a little confused.... I just want to know hypothetically if I performed with -25 in test day what would my score really translate to.

Comments

• a_pmorenoca_pmorenoc Member
    633 karma

It depends on what PrepTest you did and what scale you're looking at. For example most are 4 scored sections resulting in scores up to 100-102 (pre-flex tests), so if you got -25 on these tests, it's likely 162 is the best approximate scaled score. If you took a 3 scored section test which is how it's scored now, -25 is a 156ish (since it's only out of 75-76)

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

Agreed. -25 would be around a 156 on a 3 section test with 75 questions., but 162ish on a 4 section test with 100 questions.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited November 2021 5740 karma

Hi @annaemurphy279

The score conversion table varies from LSAT to LSAT. For example, I looked at the score conversion table for PrepTest 91 which includes an experimental section, and with a raw score of -25, the scaled score is 156. See the screenshot below:

I also looked at the score conversion for PrepTest 88 taken as a full 4-section PrepTest, and with a raw score of -25, the scaled score is 162. See the screenshot below:

You might also find the following helpful: How to Calculate Your LSAT Scores and Percentile

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.