Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing target time for logic games

phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
edited December 2021 in Logic Games 238 karma

I have a spreadsheet of LG sections I have done, and one piece of information I write down is the target time.

It seems that lately, some of the times for particular games have been changing, sometimes rather by relatively large increments (say ~1.5 minutes). Take for instance the following:

On PT23, the new and (old) times are: 5:31 (5:53), 10:40 (10:40), 10:15 (11:20), and 8:30 (7:37).

The same occurred on PT28. Game 2 is now 10:53 as opposed to ~12:40, and Game 3 is now 9:30 as opposed to ~10:45.

I understand that these times are pegged to how a particular subset (namely people who get -1 or 0 on LG) do, but I am wondering if this change is intended or if it's merely an artifact. Could @studentservice or any of the course designers chime in on this?

Comments

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1431 karma

Hi there,

Let me check this with my team and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1431 karma

@phosita_phoeatah said:
    I have a spreadsheet of LG sections I have done, and one piece of information I write down is the target time.

It seems that lately, some of the times for particular games have been changing, sometimes rather by relatively large increments (say ~1.5 minutes). Take for instance the following:

On PT23, the new and (old) times are: 5:31 (5:53), 10:40 (10:40), 10:15 (11:20), and 8:30 (7:37).

The same occurred on PT28. Game 2 is now 10:53 as opposed to ~12:40, and Game 3 is now 9:30 as opposed to ~10:45.

I understand that these times are pegged to how a particular subset (namely people who get -1 or 0 on LG) do, but I am wondering if this change is intended or if it's merely an artifact. Could @studentservice or any of the course designers chime in on this?

Hi there,

I just want to get back to you on this.

We recently updated the statistics with the newest data that is why there is a significant change on the target time for some questions.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    238 karma

TH> @"Cherry - 7Sage" said:

@phosita_phoeatah said:

Hi there,

I just want to get back to you on this.

We recently updated the statistics with the newest data that is why there is a significant change on the target time for some questions.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for looking into this. I should also add that at least part of the revision is appreciated, because some games previously didn't have a target time.

However, could you (and/or course designers) shed some light on the practical implications for games whose respective target times did end up changing a bit? I think this is a salient point from a pedagogical perspective, because going under recommended time is one of the factors for determining when to stop the fool-proof process.

Take the aforementioned PT28 G2. Whereas one may very well decide to stop after getting that game down to ~11 min, now there is doubt as to there is a solid grasp. Conversely, for G4 of PT23, whereas previously one wouldn't think ~8:00 is an indication of having a solid grasp, now such a time would suggest so.

Or perhaps it doesn't matter all that much. I subscribe to the view that when I do an entire LG section in fool-proof, I should stop when the total time on review is a few minutes under 35:00; however, I'm not sure if the course designers have ever clarified on whether they take a similar view. As such, any input on how we should handle the differences would be greatly appreciated.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    edited December 2021 5740 karma

Hi @phosita_phoeatah,

The Fool Proof Guide is meant to help you get the best score in the LG section within the 35 minutes that you are allowed on the LG section.

Whereas, Analytics calculates the target time based on data from top scorers. In other words, these are the actual times that 7Sagers who got -0 or -1 on the LG section spent.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions.