Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logical Reasoning Plateau

alexstraumannalexstraumann Core Member

hi everyone, I have never used one of these discussion forums before but i feel like i am losing my mind a little bit and am hoping maybe one of you could help me. i have always struggled with the logical reasoning section, and it seems that no matter how many practice questions i do or tests i take my score is all over the place and i am never able to consistently get 2-5 wrong. this is severely worsening my score as my other sections i am missing 0-4 questions consistently. anyone have any advice on how to conquer this section, or a new way to study logical reasoning/approach the questions? (seriously, anything would be appreciated!!!)

Comments

• Tristan GTristan G Member
    56 karma

I've heard a lot about the "loophole" book for LR. If you haven't already, maybe that could be worth reading?

• yeahniceyeahnice Core Member
    123 karma

Maybe try a different approach for the questions? It's easy to look at the questions by trying to understand what it's saying, but maybe start by analyzing the structure. (is it comparing? attacking a study? Conditional reasoning?) And find certain types you can answer quickly to leave some leeway to spend more time on the questions you're missing!

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1306 karma

@alexstraumann

The key question you need to ask to escape a plateau is "Why am I getting these answers wrong?" This is the most difficult part of studying for the LSAT - you have to continuously diagnose the errors in your performance in order to continue to improve.

Obviously, I cannot give a general answer to that question - everyone who plateaus on LR will do so for a slightly different reason! - but here is one question that can help guide you.

What is your BR score?
    Are you BRing significantly higher than your actual score on LR? If so, that suggests that your issue is related to timing. You know how to answer the questions (since you can get more answers correct during BR), but something about the time constraint is suppressing your actual score. If that's the case, then you need to find out where you can get more efficient! Are you wasting time on easy questions? Getting bogged down on a few hard ones? Identify where you are losing time and you can improve your score!

If your BR is about the same as your actual score, then indicates that you need to improve your fundamentals. Are there question types you particularly struggle with? Then study/drill those question types! Is the problem more general? Then the issue might be something more basic - time to review to fundamental rules of lawgic and argumentation.

Don't be afraid to ask for help!
    Again, this is the hardest part of studying for the LSAT! Don't be afraid to look to more experienced test takers or tutors for help!

Feel free to message me if you need to! Good luck!

• alinaekim2000alinaekim2000 Yearly Member
    9 karma

fox's logical reasoning encyclopedia got me from -9 to like -2 in a week fam i hope it also works for you !!