Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I cancel my score?

fatimahbajaha23fatimahbajaha23 Core Member
in General 117 karma

This was my first take at the lsat and did not do as well as I hope. Should I cancel my score ?

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4300 karma

I would cancel if

1) You are 99.9% sure you will retake the LSAT and don't just plan to but actually will
    2) The score you received does not represent your potential
    3) You scored lower than your target score

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1306 karma

@fatimahbajaha23
    In general, you should always cancel a score that is below the 25% at your lowest-ranked acceptable school.

In other words, if the lowest ranked school you would consider attending is Texas Tech University (rank 102), then you should absolutely cancel any score below a 152. Meanwhile if you are "T14 or bust," you should cancel any score below a 161 (Georgetown's 25%)

On the other end of the scale, I would not never cancel a score that is at or above the median of my target schools. If I am shooting for the middle of the T14, I wouldn't cancel a 170, even if I'd like to have a shot at Harvard. The risk of not being able to get that score (which is median at UPenn) is simply too high.

That obviously leaves a lot of "grey area" between scores you should definitely cancel and definitely keep. That's because so much depends on the rest of your application and goals. A URM applicant with stellar softs and a 4.0 GPA may keep scores that a nURM KJD with a 3.5 would cancel. If you are in that range and are struggling to decide, I'd recommend booking a consult with our admissions people. They are fantastic, and can give you a lot of nuanced advice that we simply can't without knowing a lot more about you.

Message me if you'd like help setting up a meeting with them!