Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone really good at grouping games?

Ms.LeeSanzMs.LeeSanz Member
in Logic Games 227 karma

Hey everyone?!

I find myself having major issues with grouping games especially open games. Anyone willing to share some advice or care to tell me what resources has helped you the most with grouping games? It’s the main issue that is impacting my LG score.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

Hey there!

By "open games" do you mean games where there is not an exact number of game pieces that has to be in each group? Sometimes, the reason why these games are challenging for some of my students will be because they are not taking stock of the game pieces that haven't been assigned to a group. After you come up with all the inferences that you can, remember to take stock of what's left and ask yourself if there are any inferences you missed from the game pieces that you have left.

For me, I think grouping games can be more "split friendly" than sequencing games. I only have to put game piece "A" in groups 1,2, and 3 to split, whereas a sequencing game, I have to put game piece "A" in sometimes 7 slots, and I definitely don't want to split into 7 boards during a timed section take.

Most likely, grouping games will play more on the differences/similarities of the "game pieces" than it will the "game board", because there are is just less on the game board to assign. For example, the rule A and B can't be together will be much more likely to be shown in a grouping game because it plays on the relationship between the game pieces. A rule like A cannot be 3rd or 5th will be more likely to be shown in a sequencing game, because it plays on the order.

Hope this helps!