Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutor Session Guidance

KI_Lawnupe9KI_Lawnupe9 Member
in General 38 karma

I have a tutor I have been working with for about a month now, she's not 7sage affiliated and I feel sometimes we have a disconnect about what a good session looks like. She definitely knows the LSAT, but I'm not sure if we are getting the most out of our sessions. I'm working through the curriculum and she feels I should be testing more often. Does anyone have any advice on How a good tutoring session should go? (What success looks like)

Comments

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Following. I've always wondered this. Don't want to pay for a tutor without having a good idea of what a great lesson should look like.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1336 karma

@KI_Lawnupe9

After a good tutoring session, you should feel confident that you spent your money wisely and that your tutor is giving you the help you need to improve. If you end every session with doubts as to whether you are getting a good return on your investment, you need a new tutor. Your tutor should convince you that they are worth the money, not the other way around.

"I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of our sessions" wouldn't be good enough to me. It shouldn't be to you either!

Incidentally, if you'd like to hear more about our in-house program, feel free to schedule a chat with me. I'm happy to tell you about what our program looks like. Even if you don't sign up with us, hopefully that will at least give you some insight into what you should be looking for and the questions you should ask.

https://calendly.com/scott-milam/7sage-tutoring-consult

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

It can be a complicated relationship because a tutor should be telling you things that aren’t necessarily obvious to you, and sometimes things that may feel counter-intuitive. Otherwise you wouldn’t need the tutor in the first place. She has insights you don’t have, and that’s really the whole point. So maybe your tutor is right—maybe you really need to be taking more PTs. It’s her job to tell you that if that’s her assessment.

But maybe, counter to her best judgement, it’s just not an approach that is compatible with your goals and learning habits. Either way, it sounds like you don’t really have a relationship built on trust yet. If you don’t trust her guidance, it doesn’t matter if she’s the greatest LSAT tutor on the planet. You won’t be able to fully benefit from her guidance. And that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s done anything wrong or is a bad tutor, just that there may be some incompatibilities with her teaching methods and your learning needs.

I’d recommend getting some second opinions. Reach out to a few other tutors and schedule free consultations. Explain your situation and hear them out. Maybe everyone is going to tell you that you definitely need to be taking more PT’s. Or maybe you’ll find a variety of different proposals and study plans, some which really click with you. From there, you can better reassess whether to continue with your current tutor with greater trust, or whether a change may be your best option.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Concur with Josh... all relationships are complex. What your tutor has seen good results with won't necessarily work for you. I think diversity of perspective is valuable. You never know when just hearing something a slightly different way will make something click for you.