Missing 7-10 Timed Questions..Untimed I only miss 1-3

josuelv288josuelv288 Member
edited March 2022 in Logical Reasoning 13 karma

Hi I was wondering if any one could give me any advice? It's been 3 months of intense Logical Reasoning and under timed conditions I continuously miss 7-10! And then I proceed to look at the ones I got wrong and I don't look at the answer key I simply choose what would have been my second answer and I end up getting -1 to -3. And at this point I'm wondering if I'm just stressed or should be more patient and just get more tests under my belt to feel more comfortable. I'm at the point where when I review the Explanation Videos I can't really write any new notes cuz I'm already familiar with the answer style. I guess one thing that I have noticed that gets me frustrated is I don't really know at times if the LSAT wants me to use common sense logical analysis or deep conditional/causation/Comparison logic. I have literally gotten answers wrong that 91% get right simply because I went down a rabbit hole of being too naive that LSAT would never give an answer this simple. I know that that the first 10 should be easier than the rest but even then I can't help but notice myself get answer right that only 61% got right.. and miss an answer that 91% got right any suggestions???

Comments

• z.stan31z.stan31 Core Member
    60 karma

I would suggest trying to change your strategy. Something that helped me get from -7 to -3 is by going through the whole section in 25 min and flagging ones along the way that you're not sure of and then spending the last 10 min go through those flagged questions a second time. There are lots of things you can do strategy wise but the best thing I did was meet with a tutor (Josh from Nevermore LSAT). Within a few sessions of just working on strategy I went from scoring in the low 160s to consistently scoring 168/169 (and am still improving).

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

@josuelv288 said:
    I guess one thing that I have noticed that gets me frustrated is I don't really know at times if the LSAT wants me to use common sense logical analysis or deep conditional/causation/Comparison logic. I have literally gotten answers wrong that 91% get right simply because I went down a rabbit hole of being too naive that LSAT would never give an answer this simple.

Hey there!

What you said here really stood out to me. Questioning the LSAT writer's intentions of how they wrote an LSAT question isn't productive during timing conditions, and arguably counterproductive. When you're thinking something like "wow, the LSAT would never put something so easy as an answer choice", you're inherently not trusting yourself and your own reasoning, which can be really bad. When you're taking a timed section, there is nothing to do but trust your own decisions and reasoning. If you don't trust your own reasoning when taking timed sections, then who are you going to trust? The LSAT writers? No, absolutely not.

Now, if it becomes the case that you got the answer wrong because you trusted your reasoning and thought it was right, then during review, you now have a job to understand what was it about your reasoning you trusted that turned out to be flawed. So then you can correct that understanding and do better on the next test.

But that learning can never happen if you don't trust in yourself in the first place! You won't know what was wrong because you didn't use your skills and abilities, you decided to figure out what the test takers were thinking instead.

Trust your own reasoning during the timed section take. The "not trusting" and "what was the LSAT writer getting at" can be questions you ask yourself when blind reviewing.