Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trasfer Opportunities

LaFrancaLaFranca Member
edited March 2022 in Law School Admissions 133 karma

Hey everybody, I found out today I got a 168 on my March 2022 LSAT which is 4 points below what I wanted (172). It was only the first time I took the LSAT but I don't really have time or the energy to go for it again considering my heavy work schedule and personal situation. I was planning on going to Rutgers University my first year anyway because I live 5 minutes from the campus and then transferring after year #1. Has anyone in here had experienece transferrring after year #1 into a top 10 school? If I had straight A's all thorught year #1 with my 168 LSAT, could it put me into possibly getting into one of the Ivy league schools/top 10?

Also, if there's anyone you can refer me to that might know the transfer process well, I'd appreciate that.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2022 8313 karma

Not a transfer but I can tell you that grades, to a large degree, are a crapshoot. You will be entering an environment where everyone is smart, with graders that are incredibly subjective and inconsistent between classes. Necessarily, most students won't have the GPA to transfer to a top school. Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from.

Reddit and TLS have transfer communities.

• LaFrancaLaFranca Member
    133 karma

@canihazJD thanks for the response. I put a post on Reddit and TLS as well. Do you know anybody in the 7sage community that is or was in a simialar situation as me that I might be able to reach out to?

• sisiroesisiroe Live Member
    24 karma

I'm not in your situation yet, but I am facing a similar issue and was asking some people I know who work in admissions at a T14 school. Their guidance was the same as canihazJD... Don't start at a school you wouldn't be happy to graduate from. The person I spoke with said that they accept - on average - 6 transfer students a year. SIX! And they get many, many, many applications. So - you really can't bank on being able to transfer. Good luck!

• ailiz2022ailiz2022 Core Member
    edited March 2022 9 karma

You are so lucky there are some of us who need to study for years to achieve that score. You seem smart, so set some time aside to study and get in the 170s to get into the school you really want to. The time you will be spending thinking about transferring/ inquiring is time you can spend studying. You can do this, best of luck!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2022 8313 karma

@LaFranca said:
    @canihazJD thanks for the response. I put a post on Reddit and TLS as well. Do you know anybody in the 7sage community that is or was in a simialar situation as me that I might be able to reach out to?

I do not... as its a very small group of people who transfer, and even smaller that transfer to a top school. Spivey had a Cornell to HLS transfer on an episode last year... maybe you can track her down. There's a guy here at Cornell (from the same class) that got a HLS transfer but turned it down.

Honestly what you're generally going to hear is don't bank on transferring... you can't really understand until you do your first round of exams but it's generally an achievement to just come in above median. You can rock one class, then do another exam the exact same way and pull a B. The class I studied the most for ended up being my lowest grade, while I got an A in a class I turned in a dumpster fire for.

Transferring is something you start to think about after your fall GPA. Also you're not getting any financial aid as a transfer. If you really can't see yourself graduating there, dont go... retake and reapply.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @LaFranca. Former admissions officer here. You might find the information at https://7sage.com/transfer-101/ to be useful as you consider your options. The article discusses the factors that may influence transfer admissions decisions. Depending on the school(s) you are targeting, you might find historical transfer information (# of transfers, places from which they transferred, GPA percentiles) at the public 509 Disclosures at https://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx. There is information for all ABA law schools going back 10 years. Pick the year, the name of the school, run the report, and transfer information if available will be the last section of data. Good luck!