Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions Similar to PT92 (#23/25)?

Hi everyone,

I just finished reviewing LR questions for PT92 and I had a really hard time with questions 23 and 25. After reviewing the video explanation, I realized they're phenomenal examples of focusing on the big picture of the stimulus, parsing it out from the details, and also focusing on the cookie-cutter flaws. Can anyone recommend questions that are similar to them that would be good to practice?

Thank you!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

The trouble with the late 80s on is that they focus much less on your standard flaws (IMO in response to prep companies), and more on complex language/descriptive flaws... they just get sneakier.

23 is kind of like an apples to oranges comparison Earth vs Mars, or more specifically the effect of a terrestrial environment on the ratio vs a martian one. Its an easy flaw, but the make it more difficult to spot.

25 is one of those questions where they try to sneak in a new element, here, "hardcover" and hope that you don't notice. I suppose that may make it the same type of flaw as 23, but I think the real issue with these questions and the later tests in general is that they require greater focus on translation.

on earth life leads to a change
    this rock from mars doesn't have it
    so there was no life on mars

Try it with 25 and you'll see the question gets much easier. Every time they give you something to read, assume it's formulated to screw you over somehow. Translate everything.

Also... good opportunity to revisit the flaw list to see if I can come up with a category for 25.