Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage Webinar: Law Admissions 101

Tajira McCoyTajira McCoy Member Administrator Admissions Consultant
edited June 2022 in Law School Admissions 709 karma

Greetings, 7Sagers!

On Wednesday, June 22 at 8 p.m. ET, I'll be joined by fellow admissions consultants, Jacob Baska, Elizabeth Cavallari, and Tracy Simmons. Each of us have served as senior admissions officers at law schools across the country. As a panel, we'll discuss aspects of the general law school admissions application and process, and we will reserve time toward the end of the panel for audience Q&A. If you're in the process of getting prepared to apply this fall to begin classes in 2023, you don't want to miss it!*

Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_zSRVkPXGQmq64dbCvjGfww.

*Note: We will record this session for our podcast listeners, so if you do have to miss us, we will share the recording after the conclusion of the event.

Comments

• Ashley GarciaAshley Garcia Live Member
    14 karma

I registered for this discussion i can't wait my goal is to go to law school in the fall of 2023 and will be taking my First LSAT on January 13th. i am so excited!

• Tajira McCoyTajira McCoy Member Administrator Admissions Consultant
    edited June 2022 709 karma

@ashleygarcia2021 that's great!! We'll look forward to seeing you there!

709 karma

Hi All--just a reminder, this session is TONIGHT!! There is still space for folks to register, and we hope to see you there! -Tajira

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Starting now!

• Non-Stop-1Non-Stop-1 Member
    34 karma

Thanks for putting this together. There was plenty of useful information!

• Ashleigh-2Ashleigh-2 Live Member
    13 karma

The information was very helpful, I do have a question in regards to the C&F, the example of a speeding ticket was used, but what about criminal such as Dwi's and specially two dwi within 5 years of each other, would that be an automatic denial, and what steps should someone take if that is the case.

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited June 2022 1384 karma

Hello, thank you all for your time this evening! I had a quick additional question about writing an addendum. I have heard that a STEM to non-STEM major switch, accompanied by an increased GPA from a low one, is a pretty common occurrence among prospective law school applicants. In such a case, since admissions committees can readily see this change from your submitted transcript, is it advisable to still write a short addendum "explaining" the prior low GPA and subsequent increase or would it be seen as duplicative?

• GoingUnderGoingUnder Core Member
    17 karma

What's usually the cutoff for what's considered an early application (not early decision) for a March 1st deadline? Am considering if mid to late January is good for a Fall 2023 admission, or if I should submit the application before the committee breaks for Holidays in December? Potentially December 1st?

• nightnightnightnight Alum Member
    7 karma

Hello, thank you for tonight's session. It was very helpful for me.
    I am an undergraduate who just finished my 3rd year and I'm looking forward to apply for law school this Oct/Nov.
    However, I am thinking of giving myself one more year to prepare in case the admission this year does not result as I wanted. If I decide to re-apply, do I have to ask for letter of recommendation again or can I re-use the one which I will be using this year?
    Also will there be consequences because I reapplied?

Another question is, at the end of session, we discussed about early admission and scholarships, are there resources we can use to see which school offers scholarship for early admission?

Again, thank you so much!

• Alice003Alice003 Live Member
    691 karma

I am so sorry that I missed last night's webinar. When would I get/ listen this recording? Thanks so much!

• luckycharm2022luckycharm2022 Core Member
    57 karma

thank you so much for this webinar! it was really helpful! really appreciate it for putting this together :)

709 karma

@Non-Stop thanks so much for joining us!!

709 karma

Hi @Ashleigh, thank you so much for your question! In terms of C&F, two DWIs would not automatically trigger a denial; however, an admissions committee would probably look closely at the statement to understand the circumstances and what steps have been made to avoid creating a pattern of behavior. A reflection on the events that happened and a full account in any changes made are extremely helpful when incorporated into the C&F statement. Additionally, it's important to note that, in some jurisdictions, multiple substance offenses may cause a state bar office to offer/require a sobriety contract, so it's not a bad idea to get in touch with your local state bar to see whether they impose any requirements. I hope this is helpful! -Tajira

Hi @"Lime Green Dot", thank you for your question! Honestly, it depends. It never hurts to provide context, and so I typically advice candidates to err on the side of candor--sometimes there's more to the story than just a change in major. Sometimes there's pressure that caused us to go after a certain major in the first place, or some experience caused us to find purpose elsewhere. Additionally, there are some schools out there that will expect an addendum regardless if any grades on the transcript are a C or below. It's rare that we're able to guess the entire story, so I'd include the brief addendum. -Tajira

709 karma

Hi @anna.g.velez-1, the answer to this question actually depends on what schools you're applying to. If you're applying anywhere in the T14 to maybe T25, I'd aim earlier--October is a good target. For schools with March 1 deadlines, January isn't all that early. I'd look at aiming for Thanksgiving or at least before the holiday break. Best of luck! -Tajira

709 karma

Hi @nightnight, thank you for your questions! If you end up reapplying, it's not uncommon to reuse LORs from the previous cycle. Some candidates will ask recommenders to refresh the date and add new information if there are any updates to share--this can be helpful especially if more than one cycle passes between applications! There is no consequence for reapplication, but there is an expectation of growth and that you'll have updated materials (i.e. you won't submit the exact same PS). For ED programs with guaranteed scholarships, it's best to review the individual sites of the schools you're considering--guaranteed scholarships are infrequent, and the amounts and the requirements can change from year to year, so it's best to go straight to the source. -Tajira

Hi @Alice003, thank you for asking! We are currently editing the recordings and will post the episode to our podcast (and this discussion forum) as soon as it becomes available!

709 karma

Hi @janenham0510, thank you for joining us!! We're so glad that you found it helpful. Stay tuned for more webinars coming soon! - Tajira

• legal_eaglelegal_eagle Member
    72 karma

Hello, I was unable to attend this webinar, and I read in the description that it would be available later on as a recording. Where can this recording be access? Thank you!

help

709 karma

Hi @legal_eagle, thank you for your question! We will have this episode posted within the next few days--you'll see it posted here in the discussion forum! -Tajira