Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutor vs. 7Sage

Nick PischullaNick Pischulla Core Member
in General 20 karma

Hi all,

I am studying for the September 2022 LSAT, aiming for the 173+ range (currently PTing around 165/166). I have always been on the fence regarding tutoring, but I am especially confused now. I have recently been utilizing 7Sage and their package with full explanations, but wonder if a tutor would be more effective. I frequently see people scoring in the 99th percentile saying tutors helped a lot and they wish they would've used one sooner, but I can't help but wonder how using 7Sage's package with their detailed analytics is much different or any less effective. I understand tutoring is "tailored" to each student, however, by using 7Sage's analytics, I can easily see where I am having trouble and where I need to concentrate more of my efforts and time, which would essentially be what a tutor would do to tailor their lessons. Also, I feel like working a problem with a tutor just watching might be a little bit of a waste of time; I'm not sure what they could add that JY doesn't in his explanations.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and best of luck to everyone studying!

Nick

7Sage v. Tutoring
  1. Is 7Sage with full explanations or tutoring better to achieve a 173+?7 votes
    1. 7Sage
      28.57%
    2. Tutoring
      71.43%

Comments

• HopefullyHLSHopefullyHLS Member
    445 karma

If you are PT'ing in the 165/166 range, and have only "recently" started to use 7sage, I think it is better to stick with 7sage for a while and rigorously blind review your PT's using the video explanations.

7sage probably contains the most exhaustive LSAT package, and no tutor in the world can provide you with detailed explanations for every single LSAT question out there (unless you are a multi-millionaire). Plus, it's incredibly useful when it comes to drills, e.g. synthesizing your own question drill package, target times for Logic Games/RC passages/LR questions, indicators of difficulty etc. I simply cannot imagine a tutor being as effective and efficient as 7sage.

That said, hiring a tutor might be helpful for the last fine-touches to break from low-170's into mid- or high-170's, for which 3-5 tutoring hours could be sufficient. However, once you reached that level, you should be careful with choosing your tutor, as there are very few good ones out there (despite their high scores).