Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Studying Tips

Gatsby96Gatsby96 Member

Hey everyone!

I've been studying logical reasoning for about 3-4 months now and been putting all my energy into it,
I noticed that I am repeatedly scoring around 18-19 questions correct out of one LR section that is typically 24 questions.

WHen I go back to review the questions I am getting consistently incorrect, it usually is flaw in the reasoning questions

the other questions i get wrong are usually because of a silly Mistake like leaving out an important part of the stimulus and not understanding what the stimulus is saying

What are some tips for me that can help me score atleast a 20 on the LR section!?

Thank you!

Comments

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1116 karma

-6/-5 is good for someone who is starting out - nice work! A few thoughts -

1) What's your Blind Review score? If you're at least a -3 on LR untimed, then the issue probably has to do more with timing. In that case, I'd be building a timing strategy and working on getting faster on the easier questions (1-10) to bank more time for the harder ones mid-section. If you're missing all of the questions untimed, then this may be a reason to go back to Core Curriculum for some fundamentals review, as well as some Wrong Answer Journal work.

2) Flaw questions are a common one to miss - they're also the single MOST common question on the LSAT, so it's a great opportunity to get a bunch of points back. I'd say do the following -

a) Work on studying the list of classic flaws - memorize them with flashcards and, importantly, find a set of stimuli that have those flaws so you can practice

b) Work on identifying assumptions and attacking assumptions - that's how you attack an argument

c) Do all of the problem sets in CC (and I mean all) - watch the videos for the ones you miss or aren't sure about

3) For silly mistakes, are you missing these in Blind Review too? In any event, you shouldn't ever speed-read the stimulus. This is a place to go pretty slowly on. I'm okay with my students skimming answer choices once they predict the answer, but the stim should be slower. Force yourself to slow down and predict the answer - then, you'll still be fine on time.