Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you spend on each lesson? The estimated time given for each?

GalateaGalatea Core Member
in General 92 karma

So next to all lessons on the syllabus there is an estimated time it takes to complete that lesson. Do you all find the estimate to be a reasonable amount of time per lesson?

I am asking because I just spent about an hour and a half on a lesson that is estimated at 7mins. I find I frequently take much longer than the estimated time (I have never requested or received extended test times or any other accommodations in college).

I spent that time reading the text, watching the video, hand writing notes, reading some of the comments, and copying down very helpful info from the top rated comments, and googling a few quick definitions.

I just constantly feel like I am going too slow, and not making enough progress fast enough. If I recall, the total estimated time for my study plan is like 577 hours. If that is calculated using their estimated times, and I almost always run over, the 577 is gonna be more like 1000 or 1500+ hours of studying. Meaning instead of being able to stick to my 9 or 12 months of studying it could be 24 or even 36+ months of studying. Which is kinda freaking me out at this point. Anyone have any advice or anything?

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited July 2022 2239 karma

Generally, I found that some lessons took longer than the estimate and some were shorter. It really depended on the concept being taught. One place I made up a bunch of time was with the drills. Each section has multiple drills at the end of it, and I usually only did about half of the drills from any section. I preferred saving some drills in case I needed to go back to an area in the curriculum.

As for recommendations, I actually recommend that you don’t take too many notes/spend too much time trying to memorize every part of a lesson. When I began the curriculum, I took a bunch of notes and stressed about noticing every small detail from each lesson. Eventually, I found that this was counterproductive. The reality is that the curriculum is relatively lengthy, and you will inevitably forget some things from it. Luckily, however, all of the videos in the curriculum will be there for you to review, and rewatching or rereading them will almost certainly refresh your memory better than short handed notes you may have copied down.

Finally, regarding the estimated time for your entire study plan, don’t take it at face value. The study plan estimates how long it would take you to complete the curriculum, including all of the practice sets, and take every released PT. Odds are, you won’t take every PT in existence before sitting for the LSAT.

I hope some of this helps!

• pierce703pierce703 Member
    49 karma

I recommend not letting the times drag you down. If it takes you longer to do each lesson, but you are retaining more information then it is worth it. And not every lesson will take you longer, some you will get quickly and others you will need more time with. Also it takes time to make progress. I started using 7sage in early June and have found that I improved a little bit at first, and then I scored my lowest score ever, and then I improved 10 points a week ago. So it takes time and if you are doing the lessons in order of how they are listed, then you aren't hitting every section right now so it will take time to see improvement. Don't worry so much about the timeline right now, just make sure you are retaining the material. You got this!