Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Board setup practice?

md753md753 Alum Member
in Logic Games 67 karma

Hi, I am struggling with games because I am not yet quickly able to make inferences to decipher the possible set ups. It seems this is the key to easily going through the questions, so I was wondering if there are any drills anywhere to practice this skill?

Comments

• aysoliman1aysoliman1 Yearly Member
    64 karma

Hi md753, I would go to the LG sections of the Core Curriculum. J.Y. does an excellent job explaining the types of game board set-ups and inferences you will need to make on the games. It was after doing that section, and lots of practice drills and fool-proofing, that I became more confident with LG.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited July 2022 2239 karma

To build on what @aysoliman1 said, I’d recommend you go through the logic games section of the curriculum then fool proof the games from tests 1-35. Though tests 1-35 are old, they’ve got a great variety of logic games and a bunch of unusual games that will help prepare you for the miscellaneous games becoming more common on modern tests. In short, they build a great foundation for LG.

Also, some advice that I wish someone would’ve given me when going through the LG section of the curriculum: it’s okay if you absolutely suck at every game and practice drill you attempt in the curriculum. For me, the curriculum helped familiarize me with all of the common types of game boards and how to identify different game types, but I was terrible at making inferences, setting up the boards, and accurately representing the rules. It wasn’t until I began fool proofing that I saw improvement. Often, I’d see comments under LG curriculum videos about people doing great on games. Just tune these comments out. Many of the people leaving those comments are commenting after having fool proofed extensively.

While I’m no LG expert, I promise you’ll see improvement if you trust the process. When I first started doing games, I basically couldn’t finish any game under 10 minutes or with 100% accuracy. Now, though I’m still learning and not an absolute whiz, I’m doing much better, games seem much less foreign, and setting up boards is much less intimidating.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1116 karma

We're actually hosting a webinar on this precise topic soon! https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/32757/webinar-building-better-boards-tips-for-lg

If you want to chat with us separately, you can reach out here - https://calendly.com/7sage-consult/7sage-tutoring-free-consult?utm_source=DF