Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying the Memory Method with Blind Review in RC

study247study247 Free Trial Member
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the forums and I have just learned about the MM and BR.

I have recently applied the MM to a RC section (pre-test 29) and followed all the directions carefully (e.g. 3.5 minutes reading, 1.5 min memory, etc.). In addition, I've applied the BR after I've completed the RC section in order to gain further insights to errors I have made while using the MM. My results in the MM were low (12/27) and I didn't have a chance to tackle 10 questions due to timing. After the MM, I started to BR and my results only improved by one (13/27). I took my time, tried to justify my answer and reasoning behind it, etc.

I noticed that there wasn't much improvement. This the first time I have used these methods and was wondering if these results are normal after the first application? Am I approaching the questions wrong? Am I have trouble understanding the questions? Does time play a huge factor?

I'd also like to note that when I do RC untimed I usually get around 75-80% right. What do you folks think?

Feedback is much appreciated! :)

Comments

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I have tried the memory method as well, and I don't necessarily recommend it (although I LOVE 7Sage).
    My advice would be to pick up the LSAT Trainer and use their approach..... which is reading for structure, how the paragraphs interact with one another, what the author's opinion is, ect.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I don't really understand how your BR only gets you close to 50% correct but untimed you get 80% correct... Those numbers should be much much closer as they are virtually the same thing with the only exception being biased towards your original answer during BR.

I find the memory method to be hit or miss for people. For some it's exactly what they need, for others it does nothing or makes it worse. I fell into that last category and stopped doing it in the regimented manner as they lay it out because it was slowing me down and lowering my comprehension I think because I was focusing to much on the methodology as opposed to the substance of what I was reading.

The Trainer is great for RC and to me it pretty much lays out the fact that their is no magic solution for RC, you just need to learn to read for argument structure and if you can do that you'll be fine. If not, then your RC will always be hit or miss.