Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help for LR Timing

blanklawblanklaw Member

Any tips with processing LR passages quickly? It takes me at least double the amount of the "target time" for me to fully process even the easiest passages....

Comments

• pnwrunnerpnwrunner Alum Member
    100 karma

Something that may help is to translate each sentence into your own words as you read. Think of it like a quick recap. This will help ensure that what you're reading is being comprehended and may also help provide a better understanding of the entire passage.

I'd suggest that at first you write each translation down. This allows you to compare each statement and will be particularly useful when you get the feedback of whether your answer is correct or not. As you progress into the habit of reading a sentence and translating it into your own understanding you'll be able to not write as much down, if any at all. Ideally, this will speed up your LR.

Another thing to consider is your overall understanding of the parts of the passage. Are you able to correctly identify each part (context, premises, and conclusion) and then with that information can you make accurate inferences? The more of a foundation that you have in understanding the structure of the passage the more time you'll be able to comprehend the passage.

• AlexLSAT.AlexLSAT. Alum Member
    785 karma

The above answer is very good for strategy, so I'll talk about a few unrelated things that could prove beneficial for you.

For me personally, I struggled with the same thing until I read The Loophole by Ellen Cassidy and practiced the Basic Translation Method. I would highly recommend it as it helps you to improve timing, but also helps with picking the correct AC quicker. I used this in combination with 7sage and saw LR go from a -14 to around a -3.

I also started reading more outside of the LSAT. The Economist has really good articles that are around as dense as a typical LSAT question, and I think this could help you out a lot.