Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to stay interested in what you are reading?

I’ve heard that this is the number one way to increase your RC score because it improves focus. I’m pretty sure I have adhd, or at least add, but I’d like some tips on how to stay interested regardless. Whenever I hit a science passage it’s way harder for me to stay interested (and thereby stay focused, which impacts my ability to understand anything). As opposed to humanities passages, which are usually more interesting and relatable. What can I do? I love learning new things, but with the time constraints of the test and because they give us four passages, it’s hard for me to remain fully committed the whole time.

Comments

• pierce703pierce703 Member
    49 karma

This isn't really a tip to help you stay interested, but I have found that if I read the passage and do low-resolution summaries and then answer the questions that ask about a specific sentence or word in the passage and then answer all the other questions I do much better regardless of if I stay interested in the entire time. I hope this helps!

• Claudia77Claudia77 Member
    106 karma

Personally, I don't think that being interested in passage content is actually that helpful (I find that when a passage is talking about a topic I'm familiar with, it's almost distracting because I have to actively focus on not thinking about outside knowledge). What matters most, imo, is being able to focus on identifying the main point, the viewpoints presented, the main arguments being made, the author's tone, and the general structure of the passage. As I read science passages, I'm constantly making mental notes regarding the author's attitude (ex: are they receptive of the view that they're presenting, or are they skeptical?), how each paragraph functions (ex: is it presenting a hypothesis or providing evidence?), and what the main arguments are. I find that if I actively do this as I read, I'm able to keep my focus much more easily and am also in a far better position to answer the questions.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited August 2022 2239 karma

A recommendation I’ve found useful is to view the passages as an opportunity to learn something new. Since it seems you already heed this advice (as you said you find humanity passages interesting), however, I know of one other piece of advice that helps to keep me locked in: remember what’s on the line to put things into perspective. What I mean by this is, when you consider how important the LSAT is for your application package, 35 minutes of zeroing in on boring reading isn’t much to ask.

I realize this advice can cause anxiety, depending on how you take it. If that’s the case for you, then don’t listen to anything I’m saying. Personally, I’ve found that this advice motivates me more than it makes me anxious. 35 minutes of focusing on boring reading sounds like a massive bargain if it means it’ll boost my score. Shoot, I’d put myself through worse for 35 minutes if it would greatly improve my score. Again, that’s just how I take the advice, but if it doesn’t motivate you then disregard it. I hope this helps some!

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    191 karma

The best way to improve at reading "uninteresting" material is to practice doing just that. I highly recommend finding some reading material that you don't find interesting. Make it something really dense. When you read, force yourself to consciously understand every word in each sentence. If you find yourself not paying attention and drifting off, force yourself to re-read that sentence. This can be really helpful to train your brain into the mindset of "I am going to engage with this material so matter what."