Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simulating modern on PTs?

ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
edited August 2022 in General 414 karma

Hello everyone. I’m a bit confused on how I should be doing my PTs and I’m hoping someone can clear up my confusion. So, up until this point I’ve been doing PTs without checking off the “simulate modern” box on the PTs. Should I be doing these PTs with the modern option enabled? In addition, does simulating modern tests still include 4 sections and only scores 3 of them or will it only include 3 sections all of which are scored? Thanks!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

Whether or not you should simulate modern is personal preference. If you don't, you'll be given four sections, just like how the test is actually administered now. Your repeat section will always be LR, however. What I do is simulate modern then jot down a note saying that I never completed the second LR section from whatever PT I'm taking. I do this so that I can use that extra LR section for drilling or to add onto the end of a different PT. I prefer to simulate modern so that I can vary which section I get a repeat of. Sometimes I'd prefer to practice doing two RC sections, for instance, because I think RC can be more mentally taxing in many situations.

And to answer your second question, simulating modern just gets rid of the second LR section, so your test will only have three sections and only those three will be scored. Since the modern test is only scored on three sections, I prefer to simulate modern then just score the extra section I include on my own.

• ClaudioD21ClaudioD21 Member
    414 karma

@"Matt Sorr" said:
    Whether or not you should simulate modern is personal preference. If you don't, you'll be given four sections, just like how the test is actually administered now. Your repeat section will always be LR, however. What I do is simulate modern then jot down a note saying that I never completed the second LR section from whatever PT I'm taking. I do this so that I can use that extra LR section for drilling or to add onto the end of a different PT. I prefer to simulate modern so that I can vary which section I get a repeat of. Sometimes I'd prefer to practice doing two RC sections, for instance, because I think RC can be more mentally taxing in many situations.

And to answer your second question, simulating modern just gets rid of the second LR section, so your test will only have three sections and only those three will be scored. Since the modern test is only scored on three sections, I prefer to simulate modern then just score the extra section I include on my own.

Thank you! This cleared things up.