Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on jumping around the curriculum?

sabrina.schell5sabrina.schell5 Alum Member
in General 16 karma
I have been proceeding in order of the course syllabus for the past month. However, I would really like to see if I've progressed noticeably from my diagnostic score, even though I'm not even halfway through the course curriculum. Thoughts about if it's a good idea to take a prep test now, to judge how I'm improving?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Some people do that, I'm not personally a fan though. You really need to focus on developing your skills and understanding rather than looking for instant gratification. Furthermore, you're going to need to be able to delay gratification during the BR process so you may as well get used to it now. Wanting to jump ahead is a red flag to me that you are trying to rush when you need to focus on learning and not evaluation at this point.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Why don't you just continue working through the curriculum and work through all of the problem sets? That should help you a lot, especially if you're doing BR after each question you're not 100% sure about.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @emli1000 said:
    Why don't you just continue working through the curriculum and work through all of the problem sets? That should help you a lot, especially if you're doing BR after each question you're not 100% sure about.
    Great idea here. This is where you can go for some validation/gratification. Don't waste PTs this early in the process.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14173 karma
    @sabrina.schell5 said:
    I have been proceeding in order of the course syllabus for the past month. However, I would really like to see if I've progressed noticeably from my diagnostic score, even though I'm not even halfway through the course curriculum.
    Hey, that's just a variant of the kind of instant gratification mentality that the Blind Review is targeting. It takes strength to resist the dark side. Only the weak embrace it, said Obi-Wan.

Besides, I'll tell you right now that you likely won't see an improvement on your first PT after you finish the entire Core Curriculum. Why? Jon said it well here:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/3228/mavis-beacon-teaches-lsat

Problem Sets are a good way to measure intermediate progress. You'll see real results when you start to take timed PTs and BR like a crazy person.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @sabrina.schell5 said:
    However, I would really like to see if I've progressed noticeably from my diagnostic score, even though I'm not even halfway through the course curriculum.
    Haha ... Well I understand this sentiment, but I hate to tell you ... You will likely be seriously disappointed. I know I expected to be in the high 160's once I got a little ways through my curriculum ... Well ... I was not. Don't kill your mojo by prematurely trying to "see if it's working." The road is long and there's no reason to try and see if you are an outlier. The schedule is set up that way for a reason.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Please take JY literally. You can't BR like a normal or rational person. You must BR like a CRAZY PERSON! :)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @ENTJ said:
    You must BR like a CRAZY PERSON! :)
    BR --> CrazyPerson
    If you're not a crazy person, you don't BR like JY says.

SO ... Gotta go full cray!

• DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    If you use a PT now, then you are wasting a fresh PT for later.