Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Methods

aliayers945aliayers945 Free Trial Member
edited July 2015 in October 2015 LSAT 4 karma
Hey there!

So I am gearing up for the October 2015 LSAT. I am taking the Kaplan Self-Paced course, which is pretty awesome. It has tons of resources and is super customizable. I also have the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim, however I am finding myself with not much time to go through that, especially because I am interning full time. I really would ideally like to score a 160+, would it be okay if I back off on the Trainer and focus more on the Kaplan course, or should I make more of an effort to make time for both? I'm already really strapped for time and I just want to be as efficient as possible. Oh! And has anyone taken the Kaplan Self-Paced course/have any opinions on it or tips??? Thanks!

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 1294 karma
    I don't know much about the Kaplan course, but I do own the LSAT trainer and I think it's one of the best resources to study from. I don't use it for its LG section because I am much more comfortable with 7Sage's LG method, but the Trainer has really, really, helped me with honing up my LR skills and getting better at RC. 7Sage curriculum and the trainer really complement each other. I would have recommended the two together, but it seems like you're already invested in Kaplan, and you should stick to a study method you're most comfortable with, especially since you're short for time.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Back off from the Kaplan course! Stick with the Trainer, Cambridge packets, and practice tests.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    edited July 2015 1749 karma
    I did use Kaplan at first, before I started PTing. I had to go searching for more practical teaching methods which led me to 7Sage. Now my old Kaplan books make for wonderful drink coasters. At the very least, I would learn/practice LGs through 7sage. J.Y. breaks it all down quite well and the consistency you develop in diagramming is key.
  • nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    @nye8870 said:
    Now my old Kaplan books make for wonderful drink coasters.
    Absolutely love this!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you fully digest and understand the Trainer you should be able to get a 160 pretty easily. Notice I said "fully digest and understand", and not "went through" or "read". I've had friends who did live Kaplan instruction and ran the gamut of low to high scores. I don't know anyone who uses their online course though. In the end it all comes down to what learning style fits you best.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @aliayers945 said:
    I really would ideally like to score a 160+, would it be okay if I back off on the Trainer and focus more on the Kaplan course, or should I make more of an effort to make time for both?
    Knee-jerk response follows:

You should abandon Kaplan and focus on The Trainer. Kaplan does not use real LSAT material. Cut your losses and abandon ship.

Now that I've calmed down:

I would focus on the Trainer (use one of the study schedules he posts on his site). If you *must* use a course then you should get 7sage. Perhaps peruse Kaplan at your leisure; maybe there is something to gain. But in terms of highest and best use of your time, Kaplan is never going to be it.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Run away from Kaplan. You're better off with the Trainer and 7Sage.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I would run away from the Kaplan course ASAP. I did TWO whole books of Kaplan and felt so horrible about the LSAT afterwards!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I know a guy who got a 149 on his diagnostic, paid $1500+ for a Kaplan course, sat for the test, and got a 149.

So that's not really a strong indicator for ROI.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Yeah the only people I knew that did well with Kaplan also did extensive self study with other resources and studied for close to a year total so I don't think Kaplan was what got them into the 175+ range.